The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds Reviews

½ September 12, 2008
Oui oui, j'aime les films de folles, c'est cathartique pour moi...
C'est grinçant et mélancolique, très bien interprété (Woodward fait très peur tant elle joue la hargne désespérée à la parfextion), avec une belle patine de grain de la pellicule et de couleurs glauques 100% années 70 (ça ça me parle moins). Comme dirait Moman : c'est la rencontre de Tennessee Williams et du néoréalisme.
September 12, 2008
This film is wonderful. I think they have the date wrong here on Facebook - it's 1973 in the US which is important with Vietnam and such matters on the mind.
Joanna Woodwood is exquisite in this film - a nuanced and delicate performance in which she hovers on the line between depression/melancholia and the "let me entertain you" alcoholic widower for the entire film. It's such a treat to see acting like this. The script is superb - frighteningly bleak. It tells a story in which there is a lot to be bleak about: the promise of atomic war, and the fallout on the American family. It's a family in which the last cinders of the American dream die over the course of the movie. The mise-en-scene is also perfect: dark, quietly disturbing, to the point where it becomes painful to watch at times. Go see it - it beats Truffaut any day.
½ May 24, 2008
This is a rare gem and not often broadcast...see it if you can.
February 18, 2008
Unbeliebably good film. See it!
October 31, 2007
Here's what I have to say about this movie. Don't ever let Paul Newman direct.
August 4, 2007
I love Joanne Woodward..She married Paul Newman.
½ July 19, 2007
This movie was kinda freaky I thought. But I still like it for some strange reason. It reminds me of my mother's school..
½ July 18, 2007
Brilliant story - I would have never thought Paul Newman was that cool!
July 14, 2007
Had Woodward been as cynical, joyless, and venom-filled as the character she portrays, I seriously doubt her marriage would have lasted all these years. Interestingly enough, it is her husband who directed her through what amounts to a fine performance -- their daughter also plays Matilda, by the way. All of the roles in the film are demanding ones, so it's quite an accomplishment that the cast members turn in such authentic characterizations. Let's face it, Woodward has been much underrated as a film actress, and here she takes an unpleasant character and makes her someone that the audience cannot take its eyes off of. Hints are dropped about Beatrice's once promising future, which we can see for ourselves has never been realized. As a mother all she is capable of any longer is berating her daughters and generating more pitiful complaints. The daughters are a combination of youthful dreams and dread for an adulthood that is every bit as dank as their mother's present. Several signs suggest that Ruth is destined to become like her mother, and though both daughters' prospects remain intact when we last see them, it is sad-faced Matilda who seems destined to actually fulfill her promise.
July 11, 2007
...Um. Kind of an awful, boring adaption of one of my favorite plays. So sad :(