The Factory Reviews

½ January 6, 2014
Strange ending. Ok movie, but I guess that's what John Cusack does.
LWOODS04
½ December 16, 2010
So good! Review soon.....
MANUGINO
½ January 18, 2013
Huge Thriller, Amazing Twist!

Great Film! The plot is basically a variation on Kiss the Girls with a touch of 8mm at the end. These are two excellent movies to plagiarize. The twist, ridiculous as it is, is good and i didn't see it coming. The film is a taut, edge-of-your-seat thriller in the best tradition of these films. I can't remember when John Cusack has been better, and both Jennifer Carpenter and Dallas Roberts are revelations. A truly great film and that plot twist just made the movie so much more enjoyable. Go see it!

Detective Mike Fletcher, a rugged and obsessive police officer, and his partner Kelsey Walker, are on the trail of a serial killer who prowls the streets targeting young streetwalkers. When his teenage daughter disappears, Fletcher discovers that the killer has kidnapped her after mistaking her for a prostitute. Fletcher's obsession goes into overdrive when he drops all professional restraint to get the killer and save his daughter.
½ January 4, 2011
Crime dramas that are based on a true story are always the best kind of crime dramas, because it really is impossible to make up some of the bizzare fucked up things that go on inside the criminal mind. The Factory follows the investigation into the disappearance of prostitutes in Buffalo, New York, that takes a personal turn when one of the detectives daughters is abducted. John Cusack plays the lead detective and is terrific as always, this guy is so intense in everything that he does, from a dark crime drama like this to a comedy like Hot Tub Time Machine, Cusack always puts it all on the line and the viewers really do appreciate it. He's paired with a young, beautiful partner played by Jennifer Carpenter who feeds off the veteran actor to give a strong performance herself. This movie was a textbook crime drama, that followed both the investigation into the suspect, as well as the activities of the suspect. It was a tremendous story, but what I didn't like is that you knew exactly who the suspect was and where he worked right from the beginning of the film, there was no mystery too it, but the writer makes up for that with a twist in the end that I promise you won't see coming. The twist is jaw dropping and probably right from the true story, but for me, it kind of ruined the film. The Factory was great up until that point, and while I was shocked over what happened, it wasn't exactly what I wanted to see happen. Sometimes you don't know what's going to happen, but you have in your mind the way you want the story to end, and when the film all of a sudden goes in a completely different direction at the very end, you start to wonder if you didn't see it sooner, because it just wasn't written well enough. It's a very cool movie, albeit a little creepy. The Factory has some great performances and is definitely worth seeing, despite the fact that it leaves you craving something different.
½ March 31, 2013
The Factory represents a film that, at first, seems to defy its straight-to-dvd nature, and seems strangely competent for what it appears to be. It has effective performances, an atmospheric tone complemented by moody cinematography, and a story that, despite being unoriginal, is interesting enough to make it pass as a B thriller.

All of that goes out the window as the film progresses, particularly in its third act. The action becomes less grounded and tense, and more ridiculous and forced. The dialogue becomes borderline comical, the film seems to lose everything it had going for it. The final twist ending is what really kills the film, being absurdly asinine, poorly executed, shamelessly setting up a sequel.

2.5/5 Stars
½ February 8, 2015
Nice twist at the end
July 21, 2010
Disturbing and stupid...what a great combination! The ending is alright I guess but the climax is dumb. I really wish that they didn't give you a play-by-play on the villain though...it's awkward to watch, uninteresting, and takes away from the suspense. Generic and unpleasant to watch. Worth it in its first half for its John Cusack value but just gets awful after that.
½ July 29, 2013
Composed of seven or eight other films you've already seen before. And not composed especially well.
April 9, 2013
I love John Cusack, but this movie is disappointing. There's nothing about it that stands out, and since there are a huge number of crazed killer movies out there, this one will definitely be easy to forget. I managed to sit through it, but by halfway through it was more background noise than anything else.
May 12, 2015
The movie starts off well with a scene that sets up the serial killer narrative. Unfortunately, this scene ultimately doesn't tie in neatly with the remainder of the movie, which is more about psychotic obsession rather than a "serial killer" running rampant. The ending was just plain stupid. Watch it if you're a fan of John Cusack but otherwise, it's a waste of 1 hr 33 minutes of your time.
½ March 21, 2015
One of the worst movies ever written or directed. Cusack and Carpenter, what WERE you thinking?? If you stumble across this on Netflix, avoid it. The problem is, until the end it is just a run-of-the-mill crappy movie. The ending, though, turns this into a huge cesspool that will make you forever question your choices of future movies. Yes, it was THAT bad. No more watching Cusack movies, just because he is in them. In fact, no more Cusack movies for awhile, period, lest they remind me that I wasted 2 hours of my life on THIS dog. Whew
March 18, 2015
A decent enough crime film. There are better films like this, but there are also far worse. At the very least, I don't think it's a waste of time to see it.
March 5, 2015
Terrific. I don't know how this film is so underrated being as great as it is, but if you're reading this I highly recommend it. It has many good aspects, the ending being both the best and the worst.
½ January 21, 2015
Basic Cop / Serial Killer BS....
April 25, 2014
One line summary: Cop needs to find his daughter emotionally to find her physically.

--------------------

Mike and Kelsey have been on the case of a serial killer for quite some time, but the department is shutting their efforts down for lack of progress. It's Thanksgiving, and Mike asks Kelsey to stop by to say hello to his wife Shelley, and daughter Abby.

There is tension between Shelly and Abby, and between Shelley and Mike. Mike and Kelsey revive the case somewhat over a murder of a transsexual. Abby gets more discouraged with Shelley, and takes off. She breaks up with her boyfriend, and the serial killer kidnaps her. Shelley finally notices Abbey is gone. She alerts Mike, and the police engage more strongly.

Mike and Kelsey get a lead on the accomplice of the killer. Mike goes off on him, and physically assaults him. After trying to follow the accomplice, they give up after a while. The accomplice was on a long shift and stayed in the hospital where he worked to avoid being followed. Mike loses his composure at home.

Abbey, meanwhile, has a wretched time in captivity with other young women who have been kidnapped. Mike starts looking at his daughter's life as he would if he were not his father; then the clues start coming.

Will Abbey get rescued? Will Mike still have a career?

-----Scores-----

Cinematography: 8/10 Better than VHS quality, but not by much.

Sound: 4/10 Sound levels were absurdly out of control.

Acting: 6/10 Cusack and Carpenter were fine. Dallas Roberts, whose role was pivotal, was unconvincing, beginning to end. Mae Whitman was rather good, but Sonya Walger not so much.

Screenplay: 6/10 The story was clever and engaging, but the poor choices in casting nullified much of that. I enjoyed the onscreen time of Cusack and Carpenter, but when Roberts was onscreen, the urge to leave to get a cup of coffee was enormous. The ending was tough to stomach, but it certainly explained the difficulties in the investigation.
½ March 13, 2013
another great john cusack film
½ February 22, 2014
I normally don't write reviews, but I feel obligated with this one. Blows my mind how a movie can be so good for the first hour, then the last 30 minutes make it one of the worst movies I have ever seen. If you're looking for a movie that makes you think "wow, no human being would ever act that way" and you have zero interest in closure, this is for you.
February 12, 2014
A lackluster, boring thriller with some good acting and fairly nice cinematography.
JDM
½ January 21, 2014
Mae Whitman and John Cusack were good. But the plot was frustrating and looking back at the end there were things the villain did early in the movie that did not make sense at the end. And the twist at the end was random and deprived the viewer of the logical ending. A twist there just for the sake of inserting a twist.
½ December 26, 2013
Meh ... was decent until the last 10 minutes or so.