The Fall - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Fall Reviews

September 11, 2015
perfectly realized in every way.
August 23, 2015
I'm convinced that this is this generation's The Princess Bride. Not only because they share a theme (that being love) and also because the general plot is the same (a man tells, to a young child, a fairy tale), but also because I genuinely think it rivals it. However, unlike The Princess Bride, this one takes on a darker, more realistic tone (or at least, up until the resolution).

Catinca Untaru, the child actress that plays Alexandria, is one of the best I've ever seen (maybe even THE best). It really shows just how good she was when she manages to outpace the lead adult actor (Lee Pace). I have read that Pace and the crew managed to convince her that the situations in the movie were real (so in a way she could've really not been acting). Either way, she was marvelous, nonetheless.

And speaking of Lee Pace, he also did quite a great job. And to have had played a paralyzed, depressed stunt-man on the brink of suicide, too; it was incredibly convincing. The rest of the actors, naturally, had good performances.

It was alleged (and I believe this was a statement made by the director himself) that that the movie contained absolutely no CGI. Even without that in mind, the movie already had spectacular visuals. Adding that TO mind is even more of an amazement.

It's a small detail, but I love that, despite the way Roy (Pace) intending something in the story, there are a few times were Alexandria interprets it differently. For example, the "Indian" was meant to be a Native American. It's a great way of delving into the girl's thoughts without it being too overt. Although, it wasn't used quite enough, I don't think.

Overall, though, it's a fantastic look at love, heartbreak, depression, and suicide. I think this might be my new favorite movie ever.
August 16, 2015
Favorite movie from 2000-2010. It seems like those who are not creatively minded or have little appreciation of aesthetic and it's ability to tell a story on it's own don't particularly care for this movie. I am a painter and illustrator and everyone of my friends who are involved in the arts absolutely love this movie. If you don't like this movie you have to either be lacking intellect or cannot admit that the movie is amazing and the only reason you weren't awed is because of you, not the film. Tares Singh could bring many to tears in a movie without dialogue simply with his stratospheric ability to convey emotion with color and shape. Pause at any moment in this movie when the setting is in fantasy and it could easily be a photo that is worth of display in the Louvre.
July 30, 2015
A better story would have made a great movie...
July 26, 2015
Surprisingly dark, visually stunning and the story is interestingly told. Lee Pace is great.
July 7, 2015
An absolutely stunningly shot film, it's a shame that it is weighed down but a convoluted plot.
June 2, 2015
The most beautiful movie ever made. Yes. I believe so, and though there are hundreds and hundreds of gorgeously shot films none of them can compete with The Fall. Director Tarsem's vision is otherworldly. The beauty is utterly magnificent. Watching the movie I wanted to step into the screen and explore with the characters. Excellent performances from Lee Pace and newcomer Catinca Untaru, a stupendous child actress. As Roger Ebert states in his review, "you might want to see it for no other reason than because it exists. There will never be another like it." Totally true.
½ May 9, 2015
Just.. great film! truly beautiful!
May 6, 2015
The purported plot is a really a pretext for some of the most thoroughly gorgeous visuals you'll ever see, but is still charmingly played by the two leads. Lovely.
½ April 17, 2015
I've never understood some critics, when I love a film they hate it, and when they hate a film I usually find some love for it. This happened to me last night while watching 2006's "The Fall". Tarsem Singh best know for videos such as R.E.M.'s Losing my Religion (which won Best Video of the Year at the 1991 MTV Video Music Awards") and the film "The Cell" with the always boring Jennifer Lopez directed
this beautiful film.
The Fall tells the story of Hollywood stuntman "Roy Walker" who lands in the hospital while attempting a very difficult stunt in a movie set just to impress a girl he was in love with. While in a hospital bed he meets Alexandria (played brillaintly by newcommer Catinca Untaru) a little girl in the hospital that has a broken arm. After meeting, Roy starts telling Alexandria a fantastical epic tale about five guys (or maybe heroes) who all have the same purpose, and that is to eliminate the "evil" Governor Odious. What follows is an adventure like no other with magnificent landscapes.

The director did a formidable job in the scouting of the locations and cinematographer Colin Watkinson shot them with precision and class. The costumes and set designs were created to fit in with the weirdness and coolness of the story.The girl that played Alexandria and the stuntman had an undeniable chemistry which I haven't seen in film since Maggie Cheung and Tony Leung starred in Wong Kar Wai's "In The Mood for Love".

All in all the film is a gem of modern cinema, and one that has to be seen by everyone and anyone who loves the movies and the joy that comes with watching a truly great film, which I can say with all honesty this movie is.
April 3, 2015
I think most people will agree the story, and characterization is muddled in comparison to the films elegant visuals. Tarsem Singh sells his capacity for creating beautiful symphonic imagery by implementing the same melodramatic plot device Tim Burton used in Big Fish. The obvious problem with the film is that it suffers from almost a total lack of characterization in all aspects. For instance the 5 mythical heroes, which are extremely interesting on the surface, each have about a total of 5 lines of dialogue. Why? There could have been an entire movie created around just those 5 characters against the mind boggling landscapes they visit. I understand they are not the main characters and they represent aspects of the two main character's life, but even so, we know so very little about these two that the film never manages to capture our heart. Nonetheless it is a movie that is worth seeing once for sure.
½ March 17, 2015
Lee Pace gives a fabulous performance, and The Fall overall has enough substance to be recommended, even when it gets occasionally weighted down by too much style or visual galore
½ March 16, 2015
Thought this was a lovely film and think the critics were woefully wrong in their assessment.
March 9, 2015
It's clear in this film that Tarsem brought all he could to make this movie. A visually amazing and excitingly original tale that ranks as his best work.
February 20, 2015
It is one of the most beautiful and moving films I have ever seen in my life. I love Lee Pace and Catinca Untaru's performances. The story tale and the "reality" are both captivating. I wish more films were made like this.
February 5, 2015
Really good. 8.2/10. B+. Worth seeing at the theater.

With thoughtfully script and direction, The Fall creates a profound and meaningful message.
February 5, 2015
This movie is absolutely gorgeous.
½ February 4, 2015
Utterly exquisite, I loved it. Also, I choose to believe that the girl improvised all her dialogue and the script was modified to match what she was saying. She really seems like some kid who wandered on to the set and started talking to Lee Pace and Singh just left the camera rolling.
February 1, 2015
I enjoyed Tarsem's last film Mirror Mirror mostly for its visual delight and same goes with this. Costumes, art direction, and cinematography are all great as well as Lee Pace but the story was just ok