The Fall - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Fall Reviews

March 2, 2016
An incredible film that I wish more people would see. It's one of the most beautiful looking films I've ever seen and the little girl's performance is immediately engaging and charming
½ January 25, 2016
wow! this one was visually intriguing and also emotionally draining. one of my favorites
½ January 23, 2016
Gorrrrgeous film. Unique. Beautiful. A refreshing story about friendship and imagination with no limits. The little girl is simply Super! The ending is a fantastic tribute to "stunt" actor in silent films. Marrrvelous!
January 21, 2016
Visually stunning.
Interesting storytelling.
However, not sure what the story was about exacly.
An eye candy with possible meanings.
½ January 5, 2016
Leads great. Settings wondrous. Spoilt for me by violence of finale. Redeemed by genuine silent movie out takes at end. Overall, compelled to watch till the end because it's just a different movie than any other you have ever seen
December 29, 2015
Tarsem Singh crafts another tale of wonder and imagination with his visual treat, The Fall. After no doubt gaining equal amounts of negative and positive feedback from him mixed bag that was The Cell, Singh appears to have taken his strongest attributes and completely ran with them. It's a bold move but one that ultimately works. The Fall is set in the 1920's, when a small, inquisitive girl befriends an injured male patient in her hospital, he manages to craft a huge tale of adventure, which keeps the little girl coming back for more. It is extremely light on concept, allowing the smallest of plot threads and cliched moments to steer the entire piece, however taking a back seat and just allowing The Fall to take you in, you will no doubt feel a connection to the girl and the story itself, which boasts jaw dropping imagery, camera work and according to reports, absolutely no CGI, what so ever. The Fall is nothing short of gorgeous, from start to finish and Singh's visuals do nothing but astound all the way through, his roots in music video are clearly stated from the word go and his ability to turn the most intriguing of images into something so profound should not go without credit. There is a lot to like here, especially for fans of psychadelica, as you will be whisked off to another land almost instantly and find yourself locked throughout. Yet again, much like The Cell, Singh's weakness lies strongly in his ability to direct actors, and although his cast of largely unknowns do just about get the job done, its continually evident that Singh is only interested in the bigger picture, with the likes of character and acting allowed to go, just about, as ludicrous as the performers can, meaning that by the time the final act roles around, the hammy performances have reached fever pitch and the characters have no way to go but loud. It's a shame because nestled away in here is a fun and heartfelt piece, there are many emotional notes scattered throughout, its not that Singh wishes to ignore them, its his inability to connect on a human level with them, leaving The Fall constantly in fantasy land and rooted less so in logic. Regardless the overall piece is a vast playground of imagination, everything from colour to camera technique is stylishly executed with each set piece bigger than the next. There are moments of emotional genius buried deeply and at times they do struggle through, I only wish the director could trust in his ability to do what he is good at while concentrate more or his weakness, like character and acting. The Fall is at its best when taken as a visual delight, inebriation may be required, but if you relax and let yourself go, there is a huge amount of charm and flair on offer.
October 30, 2015
Quite a lovely fantasy adventure film.
October 28, 2015
This is a film of rare visual beauty. shot around the world in some of the most beautiful places on earth, the film will definitely embark you on a dream like odyssey. Unfortunately the story is a little thin and quickly the constant coming and going between reality and fantasy will prove to be more disturbing than interesting in my opinion. Nevertheless, the film is really well shot , edited and lit so on a technical level, it's quite an achievement.
October 28, 2015
Great visuals. I usually hate kids in movies, here that's not the case. The light fantasy tale is tainted by reality, with the tragic story seen through the eyes of a kid.
September 11, 2015
perfectly realized in every way.
August 23, 2015
I'm convinced that this is this generation's The Princess Bride. Not only because they share a theme (that being love) and also because the general plot is the same (a man tells, to a young child, a fairy tale), but also because I genuinely think it rivals it. However, unlike The Princess Bride, this one takes on a darker, more realistic tone (or at least, up until the resolution).

Catinca Untaru, the child actress that plays Alexandria, is one of the best I've ever seen (maybe even THE best). It really shows just how good she was when she manages to outpace the lead adult actor (Lee Pace). I have read that Pace and the crew managed to convince her that the situations in the movie were real (so in a way she could've really not been acting). Either way, she was marvelous, nonetheless.

And speaking of Lee Pace, he also did quite a great job. And to have had played a paralyzed, depressed stunt-man on the brink of suicide, too; it was incredibly convincing. The rest of the actors, naturally, had good performances.

It was alleged (and I believe this was a statement made by the director himself) that that the movie contained absolutely no CGI. Even without that in mind, the movie already had spectacular visuals. Adding that TO mind is even more of an amazement.

It's a small detail, but I love that, despite the way Roy (Pace) intending something in the story, there are a few times were Alexandria interprets it differently. For example, the "Indian" was meant to be a Native American. It's a great way of delving into the girl's thoughts without it being too overt. Although, it wasn't used quite enough, I don't think.

Overall, though, it's a fantastic look at love, heartbreak, depression, and suicide. I think this might be my new favorite movie ever.
August 16, 2015
Favorite movie from 2000-2010. It seems like those who are not creatively minded or have little appreciation of aesthetic and it's ability to tell a story on it's own don't particularly care for this movie. I am a painter and illustrator and everyone of my friends who are involved in the arts absolutely love this movie. If you don't like this movie you have to either be lacking intellect or cannot admit that the movie is amazing and the only reason you weren't awed is because of you, not the film. Tares Singh could bring many to tears in a movie without dialogue simply with his stratospheric ability to convey emotion with color and shape. Pause at any moment in this movie when the setting is in fantasy and it could easily be a photo that is worth of display in the Louvre.
July 30, 2015
A better story would have made a great movie...
July 26, 2015
Surprisingly dark, visually stunning and the story is interestingly told. Lee Pace is great.
July 7, 2015
An absolutely stunningly shot film, it's a shame that it is weighed down but a convoluted plot.
June 2, 2015
The most beautiful movie ever made. Yes. I believe so, and though there are hundreds and hundreds of gorgeously shot films none of them can compete with The Fall. Director Tarsem's vision is otherworldly. The beauty is utterly magnificent. Watching the movie I wanted to step into the screen and explore with the characters. Excellent performances from Lee Pace and newcomer Catinca Untaru, a stupendous child actress. As Roger Ebert states in his review, "you might want to see it for no other reason than because it exists. There will never be another like it." Totally true.
½ May 9, 2015
Just.. great film! truly beautiful!
May 6, 2015
The purported plot is a really a pretext for some of the most thoroughly gorgeous visuals you'll ever see, but is still charmingly played by the two leads. Lovely.
½ April 17, 2015
I've never understood some critics, when I love a film they hate it, and when they hate a film I usually find some love for it. This happened to me last night while watching 2006's "The Fall". Tarsem Singh best know for videos such as R.E.M.'s Losing my Religion (which won Best Video of the Year at the 1991 MTV Video Music Awards") and the film "The Cell" with the always boring Jennifer Lopez directed
this beautiful film.
The Fall tells the story of Hollywood stuntman "Roy Walker" who lands in the hospital while attempting a very difficult stunt in a movie set just to impress a girl he was in love with. While in a hospital bed he meets Alexandria (played brillaintly by newcommer Catinca Untaru) a little girl in the hospital that has a broken arm. After meeting, Roy starts telling Alexandria a fantastical epic tale about five guys (or maybe heroes) who all have the same purpose, and that is to eliminate the "evil" Governor Odious. What follows is an adventure like no other with magnificent landscapes.

The director did a formidable job in the scouting of the locations and cinematographer Colin Watkinson shot them with precision and class. The costumes and set designs were created to fit in with the weirdness and coolness of the story.The girl that played Alexandria and the stuntman had an undeniable chemistry which I haven't seen in film since Maggie Cheung and Tony Leung starred in Wong Kar Wai's "In The Mood for Love".

All in all the film is a gem of modern cinema, and one that has to be seen by everyone and anyone who loves the movies and the joy that comes with watching a truly great film, which I can say with all honesty this movie is.