The Fall of the House of Usher - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Fall of the House of Usher Reviews

November 9, 2017
A visual tour de force that literally transports you to this strange & bizarre effortlessly.

The story of a stranger castle owner who's sick wife seems to get sicker & sicker as he paints a haunting portrait of her.

Filled with mystery & unusual visuals this was considered one of a kind film in its day & really showcased the tremendous talent of director Jean Epstein.
September 25, 2014
It's one of the most lyrical films I've ever seen.
October 7, 2013
One of the most imaginative and entrancing horror movies of the silent era.
March 20, 2013
By far my least my favorite silent film I've ever seen.
½ October 16, 2012
Spooky and effective photography make this film worth a look. Some very creepy camera work and interesting special effects.
½ October 16, 2012
This woefully obscure silent French adaptation may try many a patience, but it has to be the closest at capturing the atmosphere of Poe's original story. Some of its stylistic experimentation is ahead of its time.
October 16, 2012
Maybe the best thing I've ever seen. Stunning and surrealist and literary and avant garde and really well-acted and-- I don't know. I just love it.
October 16, 2012
Las casas siempre guardan cenizas.
October 16, 2012
My expectations were soaring as I pressed play on my DVD-player, and when Epstein's vision came to life I knew this would become one of my favorite movies. But why? Well first of all it opened up the door to a phantasmagorial universe of beauty and gloom, which I have only witnessed in one more movie; namely Vampyr by Carl Th. Dreyer. It is difficult to explain, but the beauty of horror has a dimension which transcends the beauty of the normal world. A beauty trapped inside a nightmare, so to speak. Lady Madeline is the embodiment of this idea, being trapped inside a crypt, buried alive! I will keep on searching for more of these black diamonds, but I fear that I have already found the most precious ones...
October 16, 2012
Madeleine y Roderick además de leucémicos, incestuosos! No podría no gustarle a nadie que haya visitado al buen Poe.
½ October 16, 2012
I don't know what I'd do without this film. I do know what I'd do to its ending though.
October 16, 2012
Epstein has with this movie adapted not on but two Poe-tales, namely Fall of the House of Usher and The Oval Portrait. Making Madeleine and Roderick husband and wife, plus letting her wane from Rodericks process of painting her picture are elements from The Oval Portrait, but instead of having a feel of cheap bastardisation, the story benefits from it. Decadence and melancholy wander eerily hand in hand through this elegic film, which leaves you with haunting image upon haunting image carved into your memory.
½ October 16, 2012
One of the most atmospheric, visually stunning silent horror films I've ever seen (rivaled only by Haxan). The movie takes some liberties with the tale (not that I really care...) but it absolutely nails the gloomy, nightmarish Gothic tone of a Poe story. Unlike many other silent genre films, the camerawork is outstanding and inventive. The look is one of inky black as opposed to washed out grey. There are very few point-and-shoot medium shot set-ups. Instead we get lots of pans, close-ups, wide shots and creative camera angles throughout. The actor who plays Roderick Usher is outstanding, the crumbling castle setting is eerie as can be, the sets are striking and there are plenty of abstract, surrealistic touches. Any fan of Gothic horror or Poe must see this!
October 16, 2012
Liked it a lot. Haven't read the short story this was based on, unfortunately. I enjoyed the way that taking Madeleine's life was portrayed, Usher making brush strokes and her standing there, more pale and staggering with every stroke. And the presentation of Usher's anxiety, with the clock going on and on, relentlessly. Amazing atmosphere.
October 16, 2012
bahhhhhhhhhh plate. j'ai pas vraiment aimé la version, le pendule, les regards, bouah.
October 16, 2012
There were two attempts to give the Poe classic the German expressionist treatment, a short U.S. version in 1929 and this longer French version in 28, both are essentially the same. Slow dreamy camera work with plenty of symbolism but with the acting being more muted than usual for the era, the people are basically props for the starkly beautiful sets and camera-work. Poe's work is well suited to this sort of thing but these films are the equivalent to still photographs.
½ October 16, 2012
Um filme p&b mudo diferente da mdia.
½ October 16, 2012
This adaptation (although it takes liberties) is true to spirit the Poe story, and uses some very compelling visual techniques.
½ October 16, 2012
Aside from the narrator with a French accent (why?) this is pretty interesting.