The Fall of the House of Usher - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Fall of the House of Usher Reviews

½ October 16, 2012
One of the most visually provocative films I've seen. Jean Epstein essentially went nuts with dissolves, focus, and layers to retell this masterpiece of horror. This is an adaptation of the Poe story, but it actually combines a number of his works. Which is totally sensible, they all sort of consist of the same themes. Whether you're familiar with the story or not, this is definetely a major mindfuck. Very creepy, avant garde... really cool old stuff.
October 16, 2012
Groundbreaking experimental film that perfectly captures the fevered delirium of Poe's literature.
½ October 16, 2012
A classic based on Edgar Allan Poe's novel. Very strange but excellent.
October 16, 2012
One of the only Svankmajer films I haven't seen.. AAAAH.
½ October 16, 2012
thats very good you can see it
October 16, 2012
Excellent filmed adaptation of the Poe classic. Way ahead of it's time.
½ October 16, 2012
la primera de una lasrga serie basada en Poe
½ October 16, 2012
Hmm you need to read the story previously... not a good idea for a movie. Though, VERY original in camera use for the time period!
October 16, 2012
The darkly dreamlike imagery transforms the classic Poe tale into a spellbinding cinematic treat.
October 16, 2012
frickin' loved this movie as a teen!
October 16, 2012
While not as flashy as Griffith's photography in "Birth of a Nation" Epstien made a film that's photography is stark, beautiful, and horrifying all at the same time. Based off of one of Poe's most well-known short stories (and one of my personal favorites) the 1928 version of the film is every bit as intense as the story. It maintains the imagery as Poe's story and gives it to us in spades. This is one of the greatest films of the silent era.
October 16, 2012
iffy on this one since not much for silent films
½ March 21, 2012
Vincent Price and Roger Corman have nothing on this adaptation of Poe. The imagery is truly disturbing and challenging, both for its time and now.
December 10, 2011
Recommended by Mabel.
January 18, 2011
it sure is...something
November 24, 2010
Beautiful cinematography.
October 6, 2010
Obviously More Akin To Visual Style Over Plot.
½ October 2, 2010
I would have rated this higher had they spent the time they did on the images also on the story. Tremendously atmospheric. I was watching this with my daughter who pronounced it the best silent movie she's seen. Creepy, surreal, even the models are rendered in a stylized way that keeps them from looking hokey. A very good experience and I like the way they did the intertitles.
August 13, 2010
this is a great silent film with good camera work and really creepy moments also its one of the first movies to use the cursed house theme 8\10
July 17, 2010
Interesting movie, seen with live orchestra. Some scenes out of focus, but is a 1928 movie! Debucourt perfect in his role.