The Fall of the House of Usher Reviews

• Nov 09, 2017

A visual tour de force that literally transports you to this strange & bizarre effortlessly. The story of a stranger castle owner who's sick wife seems to get sicker & sicker as he paints a haunting portrait of her. Filled with mystery & unusual visuals this was considered one of a kind film in its day & really showcased the tremendous talent of director Jean Epstein.

• Oct 27, 2015

• Sep 25, 2014

It's one of the most lyrical films I've ever seen.

It's one of the most lyrical films I've ever seen.

• Oct 07, 2013

One of the most imaginative and entrancing horror movies of the silent era.

One of the most imaginative and entrancing horror movies of the silent era.

• Mar 20, 2013

By far my least my favorite silent film I've ever seen.

By far my least my favorite silent film I've ever seen.

• Oct 16, 2012

Spooky and effective photography make this film worth a look. Some very creepy camera work and interesting special effects.

• Oct 16, 2012

This woefully obscure silent French adaptation may try many a patience, but it has to be the closest at capturing the atmosphere of Poe's original story. Some of its stylistic experimentation is ahead of its time.

• Oct 16, 2012

Maybe the best thing I've ever seen. Stunning and surrealist and literary and avant garde and really well-acted and-- I don't know. I just love it.

• Oct 16, 2012

Las casas siempre guardan cenizas.

Las casas siempre guardan cenizas.

• Oct 16, 2012

My expectations were soaring as I pressed play on my DVD-player, and when Epstein's vision came to life I knew this would become one of my favorite movies. But why? Well first of all it opened up the door to a phantasmagorial universe of beauty and gloom, which I have only witnessed in one more movie; namely Vampyr by Carl Th. Dreyer. It is difficult to explain, but the beauty of horror has a dimension which transcends the beauty of the normal world. A beauty trapped inside a nightmare, so to speak. Lady Madeline is the embodiment of this idea, being trapped inside a crypt, buried alive! I will keep on searching for more of these black diamonds, but I fear that I have already found the most precious ones...