The Fighter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Fighter Reviews

½ December 27, 2016
Boxing comeback/redemption story laid over a painful brothers drama, "The Fighter" is as thickly layered as it is conventional and well-acted.
½ December 14, 2016
The Fighter is an excellently acted film that focuses more on the characters than the boxing.
½ December 12, 2016
The Fighter is based on a true story and stars Mark Wahlberg, Amy Adams, and a man who looks like Christian Bale, but is actually someone else entirely. I really didn't see Bale in the movie, I saw a man who had a serious addiction, and even though was extremely likeable, was definitely a flawed person. Bale was breathtaking in this film, and puts fine performances by Whalberg and Adams in a cloud of dust. The story is very deep and dramatic, but not too much that it got melodramatic and annoying. The setting, and the tone/look of the environment the characters were in was extremely well done, and felt very real. As with all boxing movies it seems, it is impossible to steer away from the cliches that are prominent in this film too. However, The Fighter definitely has enough heart and hard-hitting scenes not only through the family tension that is created but in the boxing scenes too, which were also a very good part of the movie. Highly recommend on Christian Bales performance alone
November 30, 2016
It is always a pleasure to see a sincere drama that doesn't give in to cheap clichés or easy melodrama but is instead a compelling film that simply relies on the power of a true story and the strength of an altogether perfect ensemble cast.
½ November 28, 2016
David O. Russell's The Fighter is a memorable fighting film that does its best from it being like the other fighting movies. Mark Wahlberg is pretty good, and Christian Bale is very committed and is just fantastic in this that I'm glad that he got an Academy Award for it. The chemistry between the brothers is so good and convincing that they are brothers, and that whenever one of them gets in trouble and the other one hates him for it, they still love each other no matter what, and they they need each other. Melissa Leo is really great in it, and so is Amy Adams. The characters are memorable that you can still tell what they been though which I felt sorry for some of them while also hating them at the same time. The fight scenes are entertaining to watch and felt very realistic. What I like about the film is that that it focuses more on the characters than on the fight scenes, which would fail if the characters are boring, and they are not. Most of them are enjoyable over the top that the movie knew about it and put them in a lot while still making Mark Wahlberg the main and tamed character. The plot is fairly predictable which is the only thing that's negative about it, but it didn't take me out of it as The Fighter stands out as a fighting movie because of David O. Russell's direction, the writing, and the actors themselves.
½ November 10, 2016
The Fighter brings out an underrated performance out of Marky Mark.
October 17, 2016
Although first half is of the movie disconnected and incoherent it gets great pay off setting second half straight ahead. Performances are amazing.
October 5, 2016
As a stand alone it's a great addition to the boxing movie genre; however, when compared to the genre King, (Rocky), the film is sorely lacking.
September 5, 2016
Christian Bale and Amy Adams are at the tops of their games, and they steal the film away from Mark Wahlberg, who was given an underwritten starring role
½ August 19, 2016
I felt a lack of tension in the primary plot... Great acting though.
½ August 9, 2016
Very good acting and a very good screenplay. Great movie!
July 31, 2016
Great film. Bale and Wahlberg shine.
½ July 18, 2016
Excellent direction, definitely the best performance I've ever seen from Christian Bale, and also one of the greatest from Mark Whalberg and Amy Adams. Not only a great boxing movie, but also a great movie.
½ June 27, 2016
Another boring movie. Isn't boxing supposed to be exciting?? There was NO energy coming from Mark Wahlberg when he was in the ring. He just looked like he was just...there. He appeared extremely bored with the whole thing. I couldn't wait to see the end credits. That was my only excitement. "YEA! IT'S OVER"!
June 23, 2016
Fantastic movie with a great story and perfect performances from Walburg and Bale.
June 20, 2016
Solid sports drama with strong performances and good directing.
June 7, 2016
Fantastically acted and equally inspiring.
June 3, 2016
An exceptionally well made film, with fantastic acting, realism, and a captivating family dynamic that help it overcome its more generic slices of your average sports movie, let alone a boxing one.
May 22, 2016
Very much enjoyed this film. It's very well directed and very well cast. Christian Bale plays Dick Eklund perfectly.