The Fighter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Fighter Reviews

February 9, 2016
What's there to give a shit about in this movie? I think I didn't get it.
January 30, 2016
Movie might have been better if the lead would have carried his accent throughout the entire movie. My hat goes of to Dickey Eukland excellent role playing.
January 25, 2016
I must first make a confession: I really don't like sports movies. However, I make exceptions for boxing movies because it's more action than sports (and let's not forget the incredible pedigree of boxing movies from Rocky to Million Dollar Baby). Nonetheless, this movie does not fail to hit hard both in the drama and the boxing department. I found myself very emotionally tied to the boxing and to the family/romantic drama contained within. That is to say that both the suspense of the fights and the development of the characters is superb. In short, this movie is well written.

Mr. Bale and Mr. Wahlberg also give stunning performances. It is certain that Mr. Bale deserved the oscar for best supporting actor (if anything for loosing all of the weight he did for the role!). I would add however, that sometimes Mr. Bale's character overshadowed the main character of Mr. Wahlberg.

As a final note, technically speaking, I felt that the cinematography was good and for the most part appropriate, but sometimes distracting and a bit to creative for a boxing movie. That may be more of a personal preference, but there you have it.

So definitely check this movie out, especially if you are into an excellent drama, romance, boxing flick!
½ January 17, 2016
dickey makes the movie.
½ January 8, 2016
Better than rocky...
January 7, 2016
An interesting story with even better characters. The Fighter shows us the true impact an addiction can have with underlying tones of resilience and perseverance.
December 28, 2015
A pretty good entertaining movie about an incredible real life story, it may be predictable, but the style and the amazing performances of Bale and Wahlberg make it a great add to the boxing genre.
½ December 24, 2015
The Fighter has extraordinary performances from Wahlberg, Bale and Adams while boasting a strong and emotional story.
½ December 20, 2015
Forgettable boxing flick (which is saying that it's an average boxing film).
December 13, 2015
The Fighter is an obscene, angry movie not so much about boxing or Wahlberg as it is his family and the misfortune they face.. This is Christian Bale's show and he does a great job of being the fuck-up, crackhead brother who ruins everything and shows the difficulties Wahlberg has overcome to get his chance.
November 26, 2015
1st, 2.5/5
2nd, 2015/11
November 9, 2015
Great character study. Bales physical transformation was startling. Great movie.
November 5, 2015
They should call this movie "Family Drama" or maybe "Sweaty Backs" since no matter what time of day, or how many times they change their shirts, Wahlberg and Bale always have sweat stains on the backs of their shirts. I became rather annoyed very quickly with all the screaming of family and not so much of men punching each other which is what one wants to see in a boxing movie. I could've even handled the minimal punching if the focus has been more on Christian Bale's character and less on the screaming family. This movie has two redeeming qualities that make it great: Christian Bale's acting, and Amy Adam's extreme attractiveness.
½ November 5, 2015
Marky Mark + Christian Bale = Epicness
½ October 24, 2015
Exceptional cast and acting. Has everything you want in a movie: Redemption, comedy, drama, suspense.
October 20, 2015
It is always a pleasure to see a sincere drama that doesn't give in to cheap clichés or easy melodrama but is instead a compelling film that simply relies on the power of a true story and the strength of an ensemble cast that is altogether perfect.
October 19, 2015
This is a really good movie! And a great boxing scene at the end! I was especially blown away by the performances of Christian Bale and Amy Adams, two actors I really didn't think much of in the movies I'd seen of theirs before. But both really rock their role in this! And the other actors turn in excellent performances as well! I particularly loved the sisters! Thanks to Amanda for suggesting this film to me! She was right again!
September 28, 2015
Not AS emotional as I heard but The Fighter still hits when it needs too as well as being driven by Walhberg, Bale and Adam's great performances.
½ September 25, 2015
David O. Russell is storming back into the spotlight and Christian Bale gives the best performance of the year to lead the terrific cast
½ September 13, 2015
Pretty good, though weaker than Russell's subsequent outings (you can tell this is him in recovery, going for the safe story beats while flexing his not-insubstantial muscles with the camera). The first half or so is great fun, but as the family melodrama piles up it starts to drag, until I was a bit tired of it by the end. And Wahlberg is too bland to carry a movie where everybody's motivation stems from his character (though I guess I just described Boogie Nights!) Still, it's never boring, and Bale is good.