The First Time - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The First Time Reviews

October 16, 2010
I make a far better conquest than I do a love

Three teenagers randomly hear about a whore house in Canada named Rosies. When one kid over embellishes his knowledge of the place, the three kids set out on a summer adventure to get laid. Once in Canada, they go to a bar and meet a mysterious woman they believe is a hooker. The woman agrees to follow them back to America. Will the kids accomplish their goal?

"You guys are acting like a bunch of sex fiends."

James Neilson, director of Return of the Gunfighter, Moon Pilot, Night Passage, Gentle Giant, and Flare-up, delivers The First Time. The storyline for this film is well written as is the script. The characters are well portrayed and delivered and the cast includes Wes Stern and Jacqueline Bisset.

"Can you tell me where the nearest whore house is, please?"

The plot on DirecTV for this film painted an image where three kids bike across Canada, stop at a brothel, and are scared to death by their interaction with the woman. Unfortunately, this was not the scary tale depicted by DirecTV. This was an entertaining coming of age film in the mold of Milk Money and is worth a viewing.

"Canadians don't look any different than anyone else."

Grade: C+
½ February 21, 2010
This was such a strange film. The whole first part was completely irrelevant, then a woman gives a nice life lesson to the boy and the film seems like it will turn out to be a nice moral teaching tool. Yet then she sleeps with him and later talks about the importance of men having many conquests. The whole film was rather pointless.
October 21, 2009
The First Time (1969) -- [4.0] -- Three teenagers aim to lose their virginities with a woman they mistake for a prostitute. "The First Time" is a somber, completely innocent movie that in no way resembles the glut of raunchy sex comedies that would rise up in its wake. The movie's pretty predictable, but what's worse is that the three boys (Wink Martin, Wes Stern, and Ricky Kelman) are huge bores.
February 6, 2009
Funny movie, I found it describes some of the social ackwardness asociated with having sex with another person for the first time and the talk surrounding the insecurities we all have. Glad, I'm past the teen years, relationships take more respect and time than a brief sexual encounter.