The Giant of Marathon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Giant of Marathon Reviews

August 5, 2012
The latest turd that I've seen is this: The Giant of Marathon. It came late in Jacques Tourner's career and was completed by Mario Bava (the director of photography) after Jacques stepped out (for reasons unknown to me). It also featured Hercules himself, Steve Reeves, but in a non-Hercules role (although he pretty much was). It also features the beautiful Mylene Demongeot and some pretty good carnage. Other than that, the movie isn't very good. It was also featured on an episode of The Film Crew, which even they couldn't make all that funny. It's mostly boring and lifeless, even though there's an enormous of amount of fighting and battling. Thankfully, the best thing to come out of this was Mario Bava stepping up to the director's plate and going on to make some great films. That's the best thing to say about it really.
½ March 21, 2012
Boring. There's not a lot to say about this movie, the characters aren't good and the story is lame. Best to be viewed via The Film Crew.
½ July 26, 2009
The version I watched was The Film Crew's commentary track, which has some great bits and makes the oiled men wrasslin' go by slightly faster, but overall this is still a pretty poor film.

Worth a look if you grab the comedy version, otherwise I'd say take a pass on this one, the significant directors involved don't come close to making this worthwhile.

October 17, 2008
It's pretty homoerotic, there's lots of horse abuse and men in diapers pierce a ship's hull with tiny spears. The Film Crew commentary makes it bearable.

104th Film of 2008
August 12, 2008
If you MUST watch this abomination, be sure to do it with the Film Crew edition. With Mike Nelson, Kevin Murphy, and Bill Corbett of MST3K fame, this movie is almost palatable. (Drinks help, too.)
½ April 20, 2008
"No horses weren't harmed in the making of this movie"
April 15, 2008
Greasy Athenians in diapers combat greasy Persians in silly hats.
January 15, 2008
The Film Crew's commentary (look for their version, not this one) is really, really funny.
½ January 8, 2008
MSt3K is reincarnated! The Film Crew make this viewing bearable - what, with all the 'man-ass' and 'not enough breats'.
December 28, 2007
The best of the Film Crew's first four movies, and, like the other two reviews, I graded them, not this horrible movie.
November 23, 2007
Sooo bad...haha. It was $1, and I thought about using it for a class project. It was so bad it was funny :-p
½ November 5, 2007
The Film Crew is really increasing my knowledge of Bava. I can't wait to get to Danger: Diabolik after this streak. (Where's that, Rhino?)

Okay, this movie sucks. (Outside of the commentary, which, as usual, is a bit of fried gold.) But there were moments of interest. Yes, the fight scenes went on way too long, but some of that underwater crap was kind of fun to watch from a special effects point of view. But outside of some cool spearings, this movie is almost completely ridiculous and impossible to follow. I know the story of Marathon. The guy is supposed to drop down dead after running (by the way, there and back...), not go fight a sea battle and win the girl. Greek history isn't that wonderful and joyful. But apparently, sometimes we just have to accept what's presented to us, so that's what I dealt with on this movie.

What's really funny about this print of the movie is the dubbing. Watching a lot of MST3K, I'm used to seeing a lot of bad dubbing. This might take the cake. It's pretty common to see long monologues in Italian shortened down to one sentence with the rest in silence.

Trust me, only watch the Film Crew version. You'll feel better in the morning.
½ November 4, 2007
The funniest film crew commentary. Bad movie.
½ October 31, 2007
Such a horrible, horrible movie. So very much wrong with things. Though I suppose we can expect no less from a movie The Film Crew does commentary for.
October 30, 2007
a wonderfully bad movie with none other than steve reeves and his chiseled exterior. but if youre going to watch it, watch the film crew do it. same guys from mystery science theater so you know its worth your time.