Reviews

• Feb 08, 2016

Definitely interesting

Definitely interesting

• Jul 09, 2013

A skilfully constructed narrative which highlights the complexity and absurdity of the Japanese 'Host Club' phenomenon. Weaves interview footage of both hosts and clients together to show how the sex industry and the host industry are symbiotic, each filling the emotional void created by the other. Incredibly affecting, and narrative focused without seeming trite or judgmental.

• Jun 13, 2013

Circle of life @ Osaka, Japan.

Circle of life @ Osaka, Japan.

• May 29, 2013

unadulterated look at the twisted workings of host industry in Japan

unadulterated look at the twisted workings of host industry in Japan

• Mar 23, 2013

A pretty interesting documentary on "Hosts" in Japan.

A pretty interesting documentary on "Hosts" in Japan.

• Feb 26, 2013

It's like I never left work after I came home from the hospital. Very interesting indeed.

• Jan 13, 2013

An interesting peek into a life few of us know. Almost wish I didn't know because it is just layer upon layer of depressing

• Dec 30, 2012

I like how the films sees the way if being a host from a hosts view and the customers view. It tells a normally taboo subject into a interesting film

• Jesse O Super Reviewer
    Sep 18, 2012

Another fascinating, and ultimately a very sad and disturbing look, at the life of the men who work at host clubs and the women who are their regular costumers. That's probably the most striking thing about the movie itself, just the lives these people lead and how they deal with it emotionally. Realistically, this kind of life must be hard if you'd wish to have a real relationship what with the constant lying that's involved with this job. You get to see how Issei sort of deals with being tired of a job but having to do it because it's all he knows and not being able to really emotionally connect with people who he's paid to pretend to be in love with. There's also a great irony in that most of the costumers that the hosts receive, at least in this club, are prostitutes themselves. There's also a really creepy, and ultimately very sad, woman who simply spends all her money on Issei, even though she admittedly goes to other host clubs, because he is an investment. Almost as if he were an object. Granted, even thought they're paid to be what a girl wants, it can also be pretty sad to have a life where you're so lonely you pay someone to lie to you and create this fantasy that you want to achieve. Certainly of all the women that were interviewed, the one who thought of Issei as an investment was by far the most disturbing and emotionally damaged. Again, I found this to be a very fascinating movie that's actually sadder than it lets on. It's definitely worth a watch.

• Sep 06, 2012

A story this sad should not be reality. These poor boys ruin their health and mental state working as Hosts in a Japanese Host Club.