The Hessen Affair - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Hessen Affair Reviews

May 13, 2012
I thought it was somewhat interesting.
½ December 5, 2011
Really smooth and adequately stylish classic war crimes flick of a jewelry heist gone sideways. Colonel Jack Durant (Billy Zane) and Lieutenant Kathleen Nash (Lyne Renee) stumble across the crown jewels owned by a German Princess. Running on the idea of the "spoils of war", Durant and Nash takes evasive action to attempt to fence the jewels in (where else!??!?) New York City. Complications arise when the Princess makes claims that the jewels are missing and members of the group that assisted Durant and Nash in the findings...wants their percentage of the sold off jewels. Twisting, turning and relentless action is non stop and full of surprises. Please see this!
October 20, 2011
I thought it was somewhat interesting.
½ June 17, 2011
The story was somewhat slow-tempo at times but nevertheless enjoyed it. The visuals were nice and to sum up the film delivered what the trailer promised.
½ March 13, 2011
Ok, ish. You would think that, being a true story, the plot would be fairly watertight and understandable. Not so in this case. Initial plot feels contrived, and later stages is too convoluted. Pacing is weird ‚" everything seems to happen in the first 20 minutes, then slows down after that.

Billy Zane proves, once again, that he can‚(TM)t act. Whoever thought he should play a US Army Colonel, a figure of responsibility and authority, needs his head read, or needed to save on getting a real actor.

Supporting cast are even worse ‚" maybe they were there to make Zane look good. Lynne Renee is incredibly beautiful, especially in a classical stylish sort of way, but her Belgian accent shows through frequently. Not good, when you‚(TM)re playing an American.

Despite all the negatives, it is not without entertainment value. The twists and scheming toward the end are quite interesting and it does wrap up rather neatly.
½ March 10, 2011
This was really enjoyable TV movie fair... great fun, good to see Billy Zane in something better than drivel.... like so much of his recent work.
February 6, 2011
This is a really good movie I give it an 8 out of 10
½ January 13, 2011
I saw this as a movie called The Hessen Conspiracy, but what's the difference, really? For a Billy Zane vehicle, it's not too terrible. You almost have to grade him on a curve, since his cheshire grin can only get him so far. While not a memorable film, it kept my interest throughout, and as a low budget post WW2 period piece, its better than most scripted schlock that Zane usually gravitates to. That said, some horrendous supporting cast acting tarnishes the writing.
½ November 26, 2010
Where to start.. where to start..

Well, this movie was just 'ok.'
Nothing special whatsoever, I thought it was somewhat interesting but nonetheless kind of boring. Not a bad film, but definitely not something I'd like to see again.
November 30, 2009
Shot in Winnipeg, this fell a little flat in the end, which I attribute to a lackluster Billy Zane and ho hum direction. It should have been a fun, fast-paced double-cross movie, but instead, felt like a series of slow scenes added together. Decent, not terrible, but not exactly great either.
½ August 8, 2009
I already forgot what it was about. Not worth the trouble.