The Hound of the Baskervilles - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Hound of the Baskervilles Reviews

April 26, 2013
After seeing MI2 and League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Richard Roxburgh became my heavy favorite to play Sherlock Holmes, so it was with great delight that I discovered this BBC production. The Hound Of The Baskervilles has been adapted many times, nevertheless this one stands tall as great film and respectful take on the novel. It's a shame that this was the only production made with this exceptional cast, and that Roxburgh's single appearance as Holmes was in a Watson-centric story.
August 2, 2012
love it, got it on DVD, I thought it was good for a TV movie, this was the first time I watch the hound of the baskervilles before this I have never heard of it, Richard Roxburgh was great has Sherlock Holmes
Shrewlord
½ January 31, 2011
An excellent reworking of this Sherlock Holmes story. Ian Hart's Watson is a strong, capable and intelligent character and Holmes is a walking computer and virtual emotional cripple. Richard E Grant is an excellent foil to Richard Roxburgh's Holmes. Great attention is paid to getting the Moor, The Mire and the Hound eerily right - not since the 1939 Rathbone version has this been achieved to such CRUCIAL effect. My only complaint is the nudge, nudge; wink, wink credit the production gives to the modern myth of homosexual undertones which was never even suggested in Conan Doyles original work.
October 28, 2010
Way too many changes in the story and in the characters. That's one way to butcher one of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's masterpieces. It's also a shame that this movie was made by BBC. Just avoid it and stick with the book.
½ August 23, 2010
More than decent adaptation of the book (erroneously described as a "haunted house tale" in Flixter's blurb - wtf?). A number of things have been changed, though mostly not for the worse (apart from the legend of the Hound being changed from that of a hell hound to a ghost of a mortal dog, the original being much more effective). The cast does a fine job, particularly Ian Hart as Watson and I liked John Nettles as Dr Mortimer. Richard E Grant was perhaps miscast - he struggles to provide the required level of malevelonce to the character of Stapleton. Roxburgh isn't bad as Holmes although he suffers in comparison to Benedict Cumberbatch (as I suspect many portrayals will now do).
½ June 21, 2010
A great and suspensful Sherlock Holmes Movie with the creepiest Hound of the Baskervilles ever
February 22, 2010
Probably one of the best adaptations out there. Bravo to the BBC!
August 19, 2009
I liked a lot, especially the character of DR:Watson was more independent. brave and charismatic than ever before. The evil man was so bad. And Sherlock Holmes was not too overhuman.
August 10, 2009
Enjoyable adaptation of the much-adapted Sherlock tale.
½ July 13, 2009
Phenomenal adaptation of a classic Holmes story.
April 30, 2009
Decent acting. Another drug addicted Holmes, and beautiful locations. Gave it an extra half star for having a nice DVD home menu.
July 24, 2008