The Invincible Iron Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Invincible Iron Man Reviews

jamrcla
August 27, 2017
Very poor Marvel animation, I've never read a Marvel comic as it's DC all the way in my house but I know allot of back stories and origin stories for Marvel and this didn't work at all as it focused more on a silly side plot about an ancient Chinese curse or something like that and it really took the shine off the origin story but even that felt rushed in this overlong film, The animation felt weird at times and the action wasn't anything great, The voice cast were very dull and there was not one bit of humour and that didn't help at all, It's overlong, Dull and not worth a second watch.
½ May 6, 2017
The animation as well as everything else about this film is plain average.
½ August 15, 2016
If someone at marvel read this....WTF!? This is maybe the worse animated feature you have done ever! How did no one catch that almost everything about was rushed and sloppy!
March 18, 2015
I def want to see this!!! At least before next summer :)
½ February 2, 2015
Iron man in animation, marvel you ruined it.
½ January 29, 2015
"The Invincible Iron Man" isn't so much bad as it's unremarkable and ultimately, unnecessary. This animated film was released a year before the live-action Jon Favreau,-Robert Downey Jr. effort/triumph and is a prequel to "Ultimate Avengers". It begins with Tony Stark (voiced by Marc Worden), playboy billionaire and genius inventor attempting to unearth an ancient Chinese city using the latest technology from Stark Enterprises. The attempts are thwarted by terrorist attacks led by the Jade Dragons. As we witness the birth of Iron Man, we are informed that the city Tony has been attempting to raise contains the spirit of the Mandarin, an ancient evil ruler who can be brought back to life if his four rings are returned inside the temple. As a prophecy had foretold long ago, it is up to this "Iron Knight" to stop the Mandarin's return.
It's not really that the movie is bad, but I never felt like it rose above that made-for-TV production. Considering this film was released straight-to-Dvd that would be perfectly fine, but then Hollywood went and released the excellent live-action film. There was never a second where I was glad I was watching this animated story instead of the theatrically released blockbuster instead. It really doesn't help that they're both origin stories for the character, so it's one, or the other and while once again, this movie isn't all that bad, it doesn't stand a chance.
The animation is consistent from frame to frame, but the quality of the motions and backgrounds are just ok. Several more detail-heavy elements/characters are created using computer then spliced in with the hand-drawn footage and the difference is pretty glaring. There are some nice twists on the origin of the Iron Man armor, but as an introduction to the classic Marvel hero, I never felt like I really got to know him very much and the villains get very little development. The Mandarin himself doesn't show up until late in the picture and the four elemental warriors Tony has to combat have no dialogue whatsoever. I didn't mind their designs, but the four elements thing has been done so many times that it didn't resonate with me at all. The Jade Dragons terrorists are a bit better but they feel more like plot devices than actual people and are even less memorable than everyone else present. Some of the things I enjoyed include the seriousness of the whole affair. This isn't a movie where they sugar coat the violence by having the bad guys wield laser pistols or people just fall down cliffs and disappear instead of actually dying. While there might not be any real blood, the genuine threat of death is real so there is some tension. As mentioned earlier, there is a pretty successful effort on mixing up the origin of the Iron Man armor and particularly towards the end there are some nice twists with the Mandarin as a villain.
The movie's biggest fault really is that it doesn't stand out. Sure for small children who want to be introduced to the character or will just gobble up anything Iron Man, this will be an entertaining watch but it's really just a stepping stone towards the beloved 2008 flick, the more elaborate comic book stories or the more... colourful animated series from the 90's. There isn't much here for adults who are fans of the character and comic book fans that are familiar with Tony Stark and his crew will be frustrated to see this story yet again. I can only give it a 2.5 out of 5 because of this but it's not a "bad" average rating, it's more of a "yeah, it's alright" kind of rating. (Dvd, November 11, 2013)
½ October 16, 2014
Shoddy animation, the origin story is crap, surprisingly rushed pace, unnecessary plotpoints, and sorely lacking Tony's famous one-liners. Oh, and he fights a naked sorceress (or 'Stark' naked). I'm not kidding. Conveniently-placed "spirit-robes" don't count. This seems more like Sr. Strange material than Iron Man. Seeing him fight a legion of...corpse soldiers in the MK I was pretty cool though.
September 12, 2014
An Iron Man film before the live action trilogy that's good and partly invincible, but seemingly not better than the "Ultimate Avengers" 1-2 nor the mentioned trilogy. (B+)

(Full review coming soon - with better wording probably)
½ September 1, 2014
Had promise and had nice animation but falls apart due to its boring story, characters, and action scenes.
½ August 31, 2014
This movie is a mess! They completely messed up the Mandarin, the CG was terrible, and Iron Man barely used his updated suit.
½ July 29, 2014
Entertaining for a one time view, but the biggest sin that this has committed is that it's too boring!! It's nice for the artwork, and the idea is strong, but this is supposed to tell the origin of Iron Man, and that doesn't work when he already has all of the suits built for him already.
June 22, 2014
They changed a lot of elements of what make Tony Tony. the film is strangely slow and forgettable. glad the live action movie could wash the bad taste out of our mouths
½ May 11, 2014
While the Mandarin in this feature is closer to the comic version than the one we got in in Iron Man 3 it still does him wrong making him a disembodied force rather than a villain with soul to match wits with Tony Stark. Besides that this feature is a cheap throwaway affair with unimpressive animation and low grade voice acting leaving little reason to watch this when Marvels live action version is so much better
May 9, 2014
an 'okay' marvel cartoon, however the script could have used a lot of work.. the anime-style Marvel 'IronMan' series by Madhouse was *far* better ... that being said, it's a decent entry to show what Ironman 3 *could* have been like
½ January 21, 2014
The only people who will down this movie are comic book and animation snobs. Not a bad little animated film at all. Was enough to keep me interested. I enjoyed it.
December 16, 2013
A Lone Warrior.A Suit of Armor.Our Only Hope.IRON MAN.
½ September 4, 2013
Though this is a different origin story, it is still very flat and dull. The animation was okay for the time period, it was not spectacular. Another issue that arises is that he does not obtain his armor until about halfway through the film. Though many of the supporting characters are in the film, they are rarely mentioned. Overall, don't watch this film unless you really enjoy Iron Man.
August 31, 2013
Eastern mythology and modern technology collide in this epic animated adventure that reveals the origin of Marvel Comics' legendary super hero Iron Man.

starring the voices of Marc Worden, John McCook, Elisa Pensler Gabrielli, Rodney Saulsberry, Gwendoline Yeo, Fred Tatasciore, James Sie, John DeMita, and Stephen Mendillo.

directed by Frank Paur, Jay Oliva and Patrick Archibald.
August 23, 2013
If you're an Iron Man Fan, this movie might be for you, the rest can just go on with their lives.
August 3, 2013