8 Diagram Pole Fighter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

8 Diagram Pole Fighter Reviews

½ February 12, 2018
One of the most detailed Kung Fu movies I've seen in terms of choreography. Every scene is shockingly intense and even when the story boils down to hilarious nonsense, the fighting makes up for all of it.
July 20, 2017
Deadly poles against deadly foes.
½ April 12, 2016
There's no disguising the obvious sets in this production, but the story is strong and gratifying.
April 14, 2015
Liu goes to a temple again, this one has just one chamber, and it focuses on defanging wolves. Like Legendary Amazons and Saving General Yang, this flick is about the Yang family. Fantastic staff and spear fighting, especially the finale.
½ November 11, 2014
An entertaining and well crafted martial arts film! The final fight alone makes it worth watching!
May 9, 2014
There were some great fight scenes in this movie. The story wasn't bad either, but that I kept expecting the crazy brother to show up at the end. Those teeth knocking out scenes were brutal!
February 22, 2014
The Shaw Brothers cook up the dish of revenge and serve it is cold. The fights in this are the fucking balls and the ending made me want to just shave my head, mark my scalp and become a monk. No need for a dentist in Mount Wutai.
August 3, 2013
84%

Some of the sets are awful and the Santa Claus dressed archers suck, but when it comes to staff fighting, I ain't dickin' around, this takes the cake. A must see for...you know who you are. The climatic battle! Buddha be praised!
January 23, 2013
Fantastic. Could easily be the fourth entry to the 36 Chamber series. just as good.
July 25, 2012
8 Diagram Pole Fighter is notable for having a story that isn't extremely ordinary like most of its peer films even though the story and plot is a bit odd at times. Of course, it is also notable for its superb pole fighting scenes that border on jaw-dropping at times. Gordon Liu is one of the best martial arts actors of all time.
½ June 24, 2012
My personal favorite Shaw Brothers movie. The Tar Tar's pay for their crimes with their blood and with their teeth, and it's satisfying,
½ April 7, 2012
A bloody effing kung fu riot!!
January 14, 2012
8 diagrams worth of awesome! Simply amazing fight scenes.
September 19, 2011
A true story about the Yang family, and their betrayal by the evil Pei Mei. Only 3 of the 7 Yang Brothers survive. One gets captured by the Mongols, one get's insane. and one hides as a monk and learn how to pole fight. An instant classic all martial arts fan will enjoy, and it includes an amazing end fight scene.
September 1, 2011
One of Lau Kar Leung's finest movies. The plot is a simple one about revenge, but the main character played by Gordon Liu does nothing but train until the finale. Then he duels the Abbott in a grand display of pole fighting, and then takes a giant cart of poles to the inn to rescue his sister from the villains. Watch Gordon Liu go totally badass and lay the smack down on some vile characters. A martial arts classic, indeed.
August 7, 2011
First off they have the cast listed wrong here. This doesn't star Yu Wang of One Armed Boxer fame. It features the legendary Gordon Liu. Gordon Liu is one of my favorite kung fu masters & I have yet to come across a bad movie that he's in. A great entry in the Shaw Brothers collection. The action is just outstanding especially the climax that kicks it into high gear & is quite breathtaking. If Liu wasn't kicking enough ass but when those monks showed up to join the fight & were knocking out teeth left right & center I was fucking loving it. Great payoff to an already great movie. A genre classic
½ June 17, 2011
:Another great martial arts movie directed by Director Chia Liang Liu:

8 Diagram Pole Fighter is another great Director Chiang Liang Liu's martial arts move in 1984.The story is decent while the action is well directed and choreographed.The action is was epic especially the final fight,very imaginative.All the cast performance is very good but a bit overracted and annoying(That's why I minus 0.5 stars).Still,8 Diagram Pole Fighter is a classic martial arts movie,it was probably one of the best Director Chiang Liang Liu's best film on that year.Highly recommended for marital arts movie fans if you also like classic movies.
June 1, 2011
One of the best Shaw Bros. films I've seen.
½ January 3, 2011
A bloody effing kung fu riot!!
November 11, 2010
A lot of stuff from the first hour bothered me. It's this whole thing where people fight for the wrong reasons. I know it's common with the older movies to just help sneak in a few more action scenes, but it still bothers me. However, the last half hour is insane and awesome and I loved it. Super sad about this being Fu Sheng's last movie, but honestly for having to rewrite it and all, it turned out well. Now, none of this is the real reason the movie truly stands out from the rest. The finale is Saw for dentists. There are monks in the film who train to de-fang wolves. They can't kill but their monastery is still occasionally threatened by wolves, so that's what they practice. These techniques are later used on people. OUCH!!!