The Killing of John Lennon Reviews

• Alex r Super Reviewer
    Jan 11, 2014

The assassination of legendary musician John Lennon was one of the most shocking moments in the history of music. The Killing of John Lennon is a disturbing character study about Lennon's killer, Mark David Chapman. This is the type of film that is no everyone due to its subject. Nonetheless, it's a well directed affair that is very well acted and has a tense atmosphere from start to finish. You really get a sense of how disturbed Chapman was, and actor Jonas Ball is very good in the part. The story is well thought out, and it grabs your attention from start to finish. I liked the film, and I thought that it was a very good drama that recounted a terrible tragedy. Lennon's death was tragic, and this film shows everything that leads right up to his death at the hand of Chapman. Brilliantly crafted, The Killing of John Lennon is a unique film experience because it really goes deep into the mind of the killer that was Chapman. As far as character studies go, this is among the finest that I have seen. The film manages to be disturbing, depressing and ultimately sad due to the fact that it revisits that fateful night of December 8th, 1980. Director Andrew Piddington delivers a standout drama, one that relies on a great cast and true story to make this picture truly standout. Like I said, this isn't a film for everyone, but if you enjoy character studies, then this is worth watching. Yes, it gets into the might of a depraved individual, but in doing so, you are mesmerized by the film's story. A well made picture, and one that is unforgettable.

• Jun 17, 2013

Horrible movie that tries to humanize a crazy person... Pointless and a complete waste of time (too bad there isn't a zero rating)

• Jan 22, 2013

The main problematic debacle is that the film lacks depth and appeal. The first of two unrelated "John Lennon assassination" films released relatively close to one other seems a bit tasteless of the film industry to profit from churning out mediocre propaganda tripe such as this. I love John Lennon and this film seems to be promoting the killer rather than Lennon's legendary status.

• Jan 16, 2013

One of the most controversial stories ever known and a end of an era. Interesting viewing after a bit of a slow start. Hopefully this was all based on what he did leading up to the shooting, it was quite extraordinary!

• Jan 03, 2013

i was 11 years old when john lennon was killed - too young to really understand what was going on. i guess a part of me always wondered what happened - the background, why did this guy do it? well this is a pretty good attempt to capture the madness that drove chapman to kill lennon - and it uses his own words. an interesting look at madness and obsession.

• Oct 29, 2012

Completely lacks any emotional insight into Chapman.

Completely lacks any emotional insight into Chapman.

• Oct 20, 2012

very well done. jonas ball did a really excellent job for his first movie. i look forward to seeing more of this actor.

• Sep 04, 2012

Being a music lover, a certain morbid fascination exists around the murder of rock star John Lennon, and "The Killing of John Lennon" explores the days surrounding that tragedy in great detail. You gain great insight into the event and into the mind of killer Mark David Chapman, and I felt more knowledgable for the experience. Unfortunately, as a film, this is a lot less successful. Director Andrew Piddington has been working for decades but hasn't made a noteworthy film since 1984, and he seems to be desperate to do so again with what should have been a high-profile effort. He's trying too hard. The subject matter he's working with here is compelling enough without the heavy editing and arty touches he uses to the point of absurdity here. There are times when this is a challenge to watch, and the end result is headache inducing. Jonas Ball does a fine job of bringing Chapman to life, and since almost all of his dialogue is the murderer's own words, you get to know him a lot more than most will want to. The depiction of the murder itself is far too graphic, however, with every single bullet connecting in agonizing slow-motion. It's fairly disrespectful to the memory of Lennon. I was happy to see the film not end there, as so many films would have. Seeing the actual news footage of the aftermath was a nice touch that brought me back to my own experience of that cold day in December when I was a kid. "The Killing of John Lennon" gets a lot right, but in the end, it's a pretentious ego trip for the director.

• Apr 30, 2012