The King - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The King Reviews

July 23, 2015
The many possible ways to read the film might be more fruitful if Marsh's direction was more assured.
½ February 19, 2015
The King contains solid performances by Gael Carcia Bernal and William Hurt and begins with a lot of promise but is bogged down by its wildly uneven script.
January 14, 2015
Pretty tedious, in fact.
October 13, 2014
Disgusting but you can't turn away.....the final scene pissed me off sooooo;.I wanted another 10 seconds.
½ April 10, 2014
I accidentally borrowed this from the library and decided to watch it anyway. This film starts out awkward and continues to become more awkward in an amazingly wild story line.
December 31, 2013
An Indy film extremely well directed, written & acted. This film is a total indy type of flick, but it works really well thx to good cast & some very interesting ideas. Deserves a watch.
September 16, 2013
This is not an enjoyable movie, but that's not because it isn't well made. It's just a very uncomfortable, very dark, very depressing tale with no likeable characters and a completely unsatisfying ending. But I'm pretty sure that was the intent, so I can't entirely hate it for those reasons. The acting is good, it's just kind of like pulling teeth to watch it.
July 13, 2013
Interesting and somewhat unconventional story, but too unfocused to be shocking. Good acting makes it watchable, but you could only do so much with vaguely written characters.
May 21, 2013
movie info is incorrect!
December 7, 2012
Really interesting, family ties and religion rear there head. And a man whos father does not want to know him but his whole life is altered because of one ripple in life.
October 18, 2012
This was a rather slow movie and the ending made no sense. It was mildly interesting and the story was definitely twisted enough to keep your interest.
May 17, 2012
Subtly chilling marriage of psychological revenge from a psychopath.
May 4, 2012
The description in the "move info" section is talking about a quite different film.
April 25, 2012
This was not what I expected at all. A christian family gone in and instant. The story was good and the plot ok but, the ending isn't my thang...
April 24, 2012
Directed by documentarian James Marsh, who did Man on Wire (2008), Red Riding: 1980 (2009) and Project Nim (2011), this is a sparse drama which Marsh co-wrote with producer Milo Addica, (Monster's Ball (2001) and Birth (2004)), but has some realistic and moving performances at the centre, and it has a touch of Badlands about it's person, and it shows you can do so much with so little. It begins when U.S. Navy recruit Elvis Valderez (Gael García Bernal) is discharged from his position, so he heads for the town of Corpus Christi in Texas, which he considers his home. Elvis' first port of call is the church of Pastor David Sandow (William Hurt), whose family includes wife Twyla (Laura Harring), son Paul (Paul Dano) and daughter Malerie (Pell James). David notices Elvis trying to get close to him and his family, but David sends Elvis packing and tells his family to stay away from Elvis. But, it's not long before Elvis starts getting close to Malerie, and they go off on afternoon drives and it's not long before they begin a sexual affair, but when Paul finds out about, and tries to take the matter into his own hands, it all goes wrong. It's a film that has the tone and structure of a Greek tragedy, about getting even for being wronged, Gael García Bernal is a great actor and even handles an American accent well here, and he doesn't have to say much, but his presence says it all, and he holds his own against William Hurt. Marsh is a talent to watch out for.
April 11, 2012
Some strong performances, but ultimately not enough to redeem this depressing film -- for me, at least.
March 17, 2012
Interesting thematic, but the plot is sparse and repetitive to the point of dull and it felt teased out into a feature length. Visually I found it pretty bland too and though some plot points piqued my interest, a lack of insight into the minds of any of the characters in this film make it feel superficial throughout. We probably know more about Bernal's protagonist at the beginning than we do by the end and forget about any sort of arc because his back-story and motivation become an unfulfilled guessing game throughout.
January 25, 2012
great film. I don't know but it moves me. Kudos to Gael. He's really brilliant and unforgettable actor. another disturbing film from a brilliant actor! recommended
½ December 29, 2011
Absolutely riveting. Sensational ensemble and gorgeously directed. Tackles religion without the cliche bible bashing so prevalent in the "American indie"-circuit. Beautifully drawn characters and a wonderful study on the South and an accurate understand of the human heart.
December 10, 2011
Gael Garcia Bernal is superb in James Marsh's wonderfully off-beat deconstruction of Religious America and Sophoclean' tragedy, carefully creating a deeply unsettling world in which seemingly stalwart elements are soon to be stripped down and brutally destroyed in a single, completely unpredictable moment.