The Last Run - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Last Run Reviews

½ September 19, 2015
I wanted to like this film, having kind of a throwback style of story about old-timer George C. Scott as a former getaway driver being brought out of retirement to pull one last job with some young punks. I've always liked the archetypal "old-timer" story, whether it's Humphrey Bogart as an aging gangster in "High Sierra" or whether it's Lee Marvin as an aging cowpoke in "Monte Walsh." What I think I liked about those films and others like them is that the aging characters were now people who the times have passed by. This film, however, is a forward straightforward caper film with double crosses and populated with uninteresting characters. John Huston was the original director on this film, but her reportedly clashed with Scott and subsequently quit. I can't help but think that Huston's vision for the film would have been much better.
August 31, 2015
Scott is good, but Musante is not. the star is the Supercharged BMW
August 29, 2015
another driver pic like 'drive' or 'the get-away'
December 14, 2014
Nice car pursuits but that's about it. The story is poor and the all movie becomes a bit dull. I was hoping for much more.
½ March 12, 2012
Started by John Huston ,but director Richard Fleischer ,stepped in after Huston had a massive falling out with George C Scott during the films production.
The film does lack a little in places thanks to the director change midstream ,but on the whole this is another solid 70s action thriller.

Harry Garmes is a mob driver who comes out of retirement to carry out the last run of the title which involves transporting a young hood and his girlfiend to safety.
Needless to say things dont go as planned and Garmes and his companions are pursued halfway across Europe.

C Scott is excellent as Garmes who has seen it all and just wants to live in peace ,his interaction between himself and the cocky Paul Ricard played by Tony Musante is one of the highlights of the film .
We also gets some cracking dialogue and a snappy chase sequence which helps the film along.
If your a fan of Walter Hills Driver , Or Nick Redfns Drive ,then you really should seek out this lean and tough thriller.
September 5, 2010
Movie 2 of 2 in my "Aged American Criminal Abroad" film fest (THE AMERICAN being film one.) As a driver for the mob, Scott takes a backseat to cocky, loose-cannon fugitive (Musante.) What should have been a classic character study is a fairly unexciting chase picture.
½ October 4, 2009
A cool southern atmosphere, a laid-back tempo, interrupted by an action scene once in a while and George C. Scott all made this movie somewhat enjoyable for me, although Scott definitely doesn't deliver the performance one should expect from him. Some twists in the story are somewhat far-fetched and the relationship between the three protagonists stays vaguely ambiguous throughout the course of the movie. The action scenes are well-made and the high point is definitely the car chase with the white Jaguar.
February 22, 2009
A little low-key and retrospective in its style, it is nevetheless a thoughtful crime thriller.
January 28, 2009
The original "Transporter". Scott is great, and so are Nykvist and Goldsmith, but the film has aged dramatically.
July 14, 2008
Good car chases.........a good one for a quiet evening..Jerry Goldsmiths musics is really good though
February 6, 2008