The Law (La legge) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Law (La legge) Reviews

February 16, 2011
This is an odd one. If anything it is one of the most unique films I have seen. However the problem with it was that I felt it was uneven, not as focused as Dassin's better films. It wasn't sure what it wanted to be and I wasn't sure what it wanted to be. A comedy? A drama? A noir? In the end, you have a film with a few interesting moments and performances but not a masterpiece. Honestly, that's not a bad I said it IS a unique film. Gina Lollobrigida is an actress I am not familiar with but she's pretty good here as the jumpy, adventurous Marietta. Marcello was slightly wasted..well his character wasn't much to talk about so I guess he was just fine with his few scenes. Every one else is pretty much good too. What I also liked is that it was unpredictable. In the don't know where the story is going and why we are being introduced to a character but as the film progressed it comes together. The film is basically about one town and the inhabitants of that town. It's about their struggles and secrets. The film presents us with a picture of a society where people make their own 'laws'. The ending was kinda feel-good, which I liked. Overall, I liked the film despite it's flaws but it's probably only for Dassin fans or Marcello completists (if such people exist LOL).
January 10, 2011
Who's in charge here? Love and lust in an Italian town. Gina Lollobrigida and Melina Mercouri are the main women; Yves Montand and Marcello Mastroianni are the main men. A nice variety of human emotions are shown. Interesting view of an older Italy. I'll be watching this one again.
November 27, 2010
I loved this movie. Gina Lollobrigida was awesome. But then again, I know, in a former life I must have drunk far too much wine in a tiny, seaside village in southern Italy. This surely was a trip to a place I'll never visit in this one.
½ July 23, 2010
Dreadful, incomprehensible, tedious. The casting is bizarre: such big names, such laughable results. Melina Mercouri, glamorous in black, looking like a refugee from L'AVVENTURA). Yves Montand as a Mafia heavy. Lollobrigida as a thieving peasant (well, maybe). Mastroianni as a financially struggling agronomist. What a mess.
Seen on July 19, 2010 at my local.