The League of Gentlemen's Apocalypse - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The League of Gentlemen's Apocalypse Reviews

February 12, 2017
You my friend are f-u-k-t, fucked!
½ April 23, 2015
Unusually for a movie made from a TV series, it doesn't try to appeal to a different audience, in fact, if you haven't watched the show then you might get a bit lost. The comedy is good and the story is quite clever but I was hoping for more of the characters from the show, in fact I was hoping for an extended episode but this is not it. Still, it's a class series and this finishes it off quite well.
½ February 13, 2015
"What queer attire"

"I'm not queer, don't bum me"
December 29, 2013
Many characters in search of their Creators and a (evil) plot--In a League of it's own!!
November 16, 2013
Brilliant movie, capturing the essence of the show brilliantly.
October 3, 2013
"You, my friend are, F-U-K-T, F**ked!" - Not one I watch all the time, but every time I watch it I enjoy it!
May 13, 2013
Se tostaron los escritores de esto
February 4, 2013
i like this type of film.... i was really impressive!
½ December 20, 2012
Very clever indeed, but not as good as the TV series. I felt like it's the Holy Grail plus Valerie on the Stairs. Very unusual and with the small budget they created quite a brilliant piece of art. And there was a happy ending too!!!
½ August 24, 2012
Extremely clever, extremely funny and extremely brilliant.
If you loved the TV series, you'll love this.
½ July 29, 2012
Compared to the first and second tv series on which this was based on, this film is a pale poor imitation. The creators' stamina and interest has clearly ran out, limping to an end.
½ June 26, 2012
Not as good as the TV series, goes off on a tangent for three quaters of the movie, get series 1-3 and avoid this at all costs.
½ May 25, 2012
In this feature-length adventure based on the darkly hilarious TV series, the fictional world of Royston Vasey is facing apocalypse and the only way to avert disaster is for our nightmarish cast of local characters to find a way into the real world and confront their creators. From present day Soho to the fictional film world of 17th Century Britain, the residents must overcome countless bizarre obstacles in their bid to return Royston Vasey to safety by literally meeting their makers!

For everybody who doesn't know what The League of Gentlemen is, it is a dark comedy show that has bizarre yet funny characters living in a town named Royston Vasey. You might have heard of one of their characters, Papa Lazarou who is very well-known for his catchphrase "Hello Dave!". The story for the movie is basically brilliant, the residents of the fictional Royston Vasey come to our world to meet their creators to avoid extinction. The acting is superb, everybody involved in the movie did a great job as their characters (or as themselves for some). The characters were written very well and it had that feel that it was a TV show special which is a good thing for fans of the first series. The writing is great as was the direction and the script was good and very funny. There are some scenes in the movie that were okay but could have been done a little better but this is definitely a treat for the fans.

I personally like The League of Gentlemen. I watch the shows whenever they're on television and I own the radio show CD and the Live DVD but do I think the movie is as good as the first series? The answer to that question is 100% yes! The dark humour that made me love the television series is definitely there in Apocalypse and the movie has some really funny moments and the animation and CGI were done rather well but I have to say that the downfall of this movie was the ending. It was bitterly disappointing because the movie was done well and it was very funny but the ending let the movie down a little unfortunately. Also, there isn't enough Papa Lazarou, he's my favourite character but he was only in it for five minutes! Still, it's a darkly funny movie. If you're interested in this movie, I suggest you watch series one of The League of Gentlemen before you do so you know what you're about to watch since this is really for the fans. If you like dark and silly comedy movies or you're a fan of the show, then this is for you but if you don't, don't watch it.
February 21, 2012
It was like two movies put together - one that was hilarious and great and one that was kinda like omfg what am I watching?! So, I did end up enjoying it and I'm glad that the funnier of the two options put together was the dominant part of the movie.
Directors Cat
½ November 28, 2011
Even though i've never seen the TV series or had ever heard of it until now, it was actually quite funny. It might take you a while to get what's going on in the film but it's very witty and decently made considering its budget. The League of Gentlemen's Apocalypse is stupid, disturbing and weird but at the same time it will suprise you in a good way.
September 23, 2011
its the old crew in a fancy big movie scheme. Prefer the series, had more ... freaky surprise into it...
July 9, 2011
RAKASTAN Herrasmiesliigaa, mutta tämä ei ole kyllä mitään verrattuna sarjaan...
July 2, 2011
such a brilliant film! so much work went into it, and if you're clever, you'll be able to spot most of the in-jokes. Especially funny for fans of the TV series, but i think most of the jokes are accessible to anyone.
½ June 6, 2011
The League Of Gentlemen meet the town of Royston Vasey with new characters thrown in. Gotta love a movie that has a giraffe blowing his load in the first 5 minutes.