The Lorax - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Lorax Reviews

February 1, 2015
the Lorax an old time children book by Dr. Seuss himself turned in to a movie (no not the 2012 one) the old 1972 one we watched as kids during Earth day and don't lie you watched it in school. but after reading other reviews I look back and say "gee this book is mature, and adult then we give it credit for" why well lets take a look.
first off the story is about a man named onceler, who travels through a beautiful forest with magnificent trees which he uses to make his clothing unleashing the lorax, who warns him of his want for business may backfire in the end. So that leads to pretty much the rest of the story deciding whether he should keep going with his business or something else.
first off what makes this story and morale work is its execution, meaning like with how to dragon the movie as well as the book takes this at an mature adult were the onceler is very complex were not only is arguing with the lorax but also with him about whether he should keep going or try to find a safer route which is victim less and will allow everyone to be happy. that is what the lorax wants he is not tree hugging person he is a ordinary being trying to compromise so maybe the onceler can keep his Business and not destroy the forest in the process.
which also leads an economy lesson as well about taking too much with precaution can lead to disaster which is what happen with onceler he went it an new environment for some use of it and said "say I could make a new product with" and then does but got so suck into it that cause him to take too much of the resource which caused the destruction of the forest. So he was never a corporate jerk who burns down forest for fun he was ordinary man much like us (which is why he never shows his face) who toke much because he kept giving himself excuses to do it but then ended in a Shakespearean styled ending where is now left with nothing but the guilt that he created of the destruction he caused. then tells us his story hoping we don't do the same mistake as well.
½ January 22, 2015
An environmental film that shows both sides of the argument - a far cry from the Illumination film.
½ August 22, 2014
So much better than I expected. My 2 1/2 year old watched it over & over. He likes it as well as the new theater version.m
Ok
July 29, 2014
Decrpfruopoiuukndfvdvfvfxfdefrdwxqzsfijpkl,.hhunikihhdjvgfgfvbg
July 28, 2014
love this movies its entertaining and my kids love it to definitely a watch over and over movie
July 6, 2014
Screw the new one

This truly tells the Great everlasting message that people should care about nature or nothing will change or improve
May 8, 2014
a true classic, timless and void of mindless pop culture refrences
April 23, 2014

I
K

Oikpwhwuhiw
January 15, 2014
One of Dr. Seuss' most powerful stories.
January 8, 2014
I think the remake is better
½ December 13, 2013
I'm a big fan of seuse and love the books and unlike that crappy remake this has hart and not stupid pop cultural references
½ December 9, 2013
In this 1972 cartoon adaptation children's book "The Lorax", Dr. Seuss creatively explains the value of the environment and our responsibility no to damage it too far. The antagonistic industrialist known as the Onceler makes a profit out of cutting down the local Truffala trees for his merchandise known as thneeds. However, as removes more and more trees without replanting them nor with any caution, results start showing up. Because of the lack of trees as well as the pollution from the Onceler's factories, the local animals end up having no choice but to leave their homes for somewhere else. Throughout the Oncler's removal of the forest, the Lorax, the one who "speaks for the trees, pleads with the irresponsible Corporate to stop while he still can. Unfortunately, the Onceler always refused and proceeded to cut down the forest until the very last tree was cut down. This affects him greatly since with no more trees, he can no longer supply his factories for his thneeds. With no more production, the workers leave to find new jobs and there is no more profit to gain, thus the Onceler loses everything.
The cartoon ends with him the Onceler finally realizing how much his actions were responsible for ruining the environment for everyone, and how it can one day be restored stating "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not." He then gives the last Truffala tree seed to a boy who listened to his story, giving him instructions on what to do "It's a Truffula Seed. It's the last one of all!
You're in charge of the last of the Truffula Seeds.
And Truffula Trees are what everyone needs.
Plant a new Truffula. Treat it with care.
Give it clean water. And feed it fresh air.
Grow a forest. Protect it from axes that hack.
Then the Lorax and all of his friends may come back."
"The Lorax" teaches both children and adults a valuable lesson about the environment and serves as a cautionary tale about sustainability. Seuss doesn't directly tell the viewer that trees give oxygen for us to breathe since the reader could figure that out through his storytelling; when the trees were around there was fresh air for the native swomee swans and other inhabitants to breathe, but once most of trees were gone and pollution was released the air was full of smog and unsuitable for the swomee swans to live in. While he did directly discuss about sustainable practices, Seuss also didn't have to directly mention the Onceler not replanting the trees he cut down. The viewer can figure out what the Onceler was doing wrong since throughout the book the Truffula trees keep getting cut down and by the end of the story there aren't any left, so it is implied that the Onceler didn't have enough concern to replant seeds to keep a steady amount of Truffula Trees for both his supply and the ecosystem.
However, in the book Seuss didn't include what the Onceler would do if he and his workers stopped production, considering if he immediately shut down his factory and stop production he would put all of his workers out of a job. Fortunately, in this version that concern is brought up. The brief song sequences prove to add a little fun as relief to ease the more tense parts of the cartoon. Overall, "The Lorax" is a great story that teaches a valuable lesson about the consequences of not being concerned with the balance of nature.
½ December 6, 2013
Kind of boring and not as good as the new
November 16, 2013
loved watching it with my little brother
½ October 29, 2013
Love it extremely good for adults and children. But it does get boring once you've seen it gazillions of times
September 9, 2013
The original 1/2 hour film was WAY better. This movie was pretty stupid. The message is not as clear as it should have been.
September 5, 2013
Funny as POOP i loved it so much i loved the orange guy.
August 19, 2013
After the Grinch, this us my favorite Seuss movie (old school version, of course).