The Lost - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Lost Reviews

½ May 27, 2016
This film was extremely intense! The psychosis was portrayed so well...by the acting, the script, the music, right down to the buzzing, lingering fly sound effects. This movie was created in such a wickedly effective way that it was quite brilliant...and very sick. The other reviewers weren't kidding when they said the ending wasn't for the faint of heart. Worth watching for horror fans...but you must watch from the beginning to end. The last 20 minutes of this film were so disturbing...that I know it will stick with me for a while. Props to the creators because this was one REALLY messed up yet super effective movie. Prepare to be impacted by this jaw dropping climax.
April 10, 2014
The Lost really should have been called "The Psycho", the story does center around this weird/psychotic guy who does really bad stuff. The movie itself is very graphic/violent and they do a decent job developing the characters but the ending was disappointing. What exactly was the rush? Was he killed? Was he just badly beaten and then taken to jail for the rest of his life? What happened to the girl he was going out with? Had the ending been better, this would have gotten 3.5 stars instead of 3. Still though, it's not a bad film.
February 17, 2014
Slow burning but fascinating and twisted account of a spree killer. Compelling in its idiosyncrasies, long form plot, and character development, which makes the 3rd act all the more effective
½ January 16, 2014
This movie is sick. It is thrilling and it has some "great" disturbing moments, but apart from this psychopatic portrayal, IŽd say we might have some decent performances from the subactors around, but from its lead cast it feels like a vomiting rollercoaster ride that goes to much up and down. It is also very booring, but odly enough sensuell, from its female cast that is. In conclusion IŽd say it is a drawn out hand-wrist cut that I wish I had avoided. Did I learn anything, probably only to stay away from irrelable people...which I already am.
½ October 28, 2013
This is a fairly well done film. The plot is a little simple for me and I feel they took the character into depths that were a little over the top. However I thought there was some good editing and camerawork going on in this film and Senter's performance is sure to entertain viewers of all tastes however hyperactive it may be.
April 28, 2013
The Lost (Chris Sivertson, 2006)

Chris Sivertson, longtime friend and colleague of Lucky McKee, was bitten by the Jack Ketchum bug right around the same time McKee was, and the first Sivertson/Ketchum adaptation, The Lost, appeared in 2006. All well and good, with a few caveats: (a) Sivertson (who would soon after be responsible for the Lindsay Lohan vehicle I Know Who Killed Me) is not nearly the director McKee is and (b) The Lost is not one of Ketchum's better novels. Put these two things together and your chances of coming up with brilliance are pretty slim.

Plot: Four years ago, Ray Pye (Red White and Blue's Marc Senter), while wandering the woods with his friends Jennifer (Rocker's Shay Astar) and Tim (Drillbit Taylor's Alex Frost), came upon two young ladies out hiking (Misty's First Female Lover's Misty Mundae and Ruby Larocca) on a romantic getaway weekend. When all was said and done, one of the hikers was dead, the other barely alive, and Ray Pye and his friends had a very dark secret to keep. Fast-forward to the present day. Charlie Schilling (Kill Bill's Michael Bowen) and his now-retired partner Ed Anderson (The Artist's Ed Lauter) know Ray Pye shot those women, but have never been able to prove it. They keep trying to find ways to shake that tree, but it might get shook all by itself when Ray meets the new bad girl in town, Kath (The Gingerdead Man's Robin Sydney), who makes him think very dark thoughts indeed...

Before I go slagging this movie off, it's obvious that a lot of people threw a lot of talent at it, and in hindsight a number of folks who didn't do all that well here have really stepped up their game in the intervening years, especially Senter, one of the few bright spots in the recent The Devil's Carnival. None of which changes that fact that even Ed Lauter, normally the most reliable of character actors, couldn't turn in a solid performance to save his life in this movie, and I don't know why. Sivertson's not a great director by any means, but he's not that bad. And still everyone involved in this movie (and I only touched on a few of the names you will actually know) seems to have phoned it in.

Couldn't get my head round this one. **
March 4, 2013
When the end credits of 'The Lost' began to roll the first thing that came to my mind was WOW! And then I thought to myself, how the hell did this film receive an Australian MA15+ rating? This is visually, viscerally and conceptually R rated beyond any question of doubt. It really does stagger the mind when a schlock film like Father's Day get banned altogether and yet The Lost is granted release for teenage audiences. Anyhow... this is an incredible film. Author Jack Ketchum is one prolific and deranged fucker! Film adaptations of his work include The Girl Next Door, The Offspring and The Woman... all disturbing and all provoking. The Lost tells the true story of Ray Pye, a 19 year old serial killer. It begins with, presumedly, his first two murders and continues 4 years later detailing his descent into madness culminating in a truly shocking and unforgettable climax. The film works on several levels. Aside from the obvious straight up thriller/horror aspect, the film goes deeper into psychological themes with some subtle suggestions of psychosis. There's also a well conceived police investigation angle which cleverly builds on the tension. The film was produced by Lucky McKee who is one of the best horror talents in film at the moment. His debut film MAY was also one of the best horror films of the last decade and he seems to have found a kinship with Ketchum's work. As well as this film he has personally directed The Woman and Red. McKee and Ketchum is a partnership that works well. The Lost will blow you away if you haven't already seen it.
½ September 2, 2012
Jack Ketchum's novel in which this is based is a well-written dramatic/thriller that's a tense and sometimes intense read like most of his novels are; the film however is a complete travesty. The direction is unimaginative, the camera work is clunky and amateurish, the script is at best serviceable...and then there's the acting.
Most everyone is okay at what they have to work with but Marc Senter as Ray is the biggest nail in the coffin.
His hack-ting is somewhere between Hayden Christensen and Jim Carrey--he's either wooden and very much not convincing or he plays it WAY over the top which ruins the entire last act.
If you want to see Ketchum done right then see The Girl Next Door instead of this embarrassing two hour mess.
½ July 29, 2012
One of the dumbest movies Ive ever hyped up myself to see. You pretty much wanna beat the garbage out of the lead character...and his giant mole. stupid things just happen...like if the girl died...why show her being found and driven away??? besides the load of naked convention going ladies this movie was a waste. And that ending scene with the pregnant women made me weep for these filmmakers. why do that?
July 29, 2012
The director was going for a chilling look at the breakdown of a mentally deranged young man. What he presented us instead is an overacted, overlong, view of a sadistic man and the masochistic folks who hang around with him. Throw in there some inept cops who suddenly decide, four years later, to push the guy's buttons for a murder they suspect he did. A poorly put together movie that seems to rely on the prurient interests of the main character to keep your interest.
July 17, 2012
Jack Ketchum is a famed horror novelist, but as far as turning his stories into film is concerned, so far, it hasn't been very successful. The only film based on his writing that I enjoyed, was The Offspring. The most recent one I watched, The Lost, was by far his worst. The story is about two detectives following a guy they know is a budding serial killer, a man who they suspect in a previous crime. With no evidence against him all they can do is watch him. First off this film is very slow moving, to point where I almost turned it off. Second, the main character, Ray (Marc Senter), is a complete and utter moron. I don't know if the character was written that way or if the actor playing him was just that bad, but this guy was not believable at all! The story is rather hard to follow as well, mainly because throughout it, people just keep making statements about what they've seen or what they know, without providing those same details to the audience. Isn't the point of a good mystery to make the audience think and figure things out for themselves instead of just having someone tell them everything? This movie was slow, poorly acted, and on top of that just plain stupid! Don't waste your time on it.
May 5, 2012
Suddenly, a wild bush appeared! Definitely caught me off guard, and a hell of a way to start a movie. The Lost has its fair share of flaws, but features a strong performance from its lead character to keep you engrossed. At two hours, the whole Ed-and-Sally subplot should have been left on the cutting room floor. The climax of the movie is not for the faint of heart.
April 24, 2012
A great, disturbing horror film held back only by its limited budget.
April 18, 2012
Stayed pretty true to the book. It wasn't really scary or creepy. Marc Senter as Ray Pye though did an amazing job. Can't wait to see him in more!
½ March 1, 2012
Never read the book, but after reading the reviews and watching the movie, all I can say is, "I don't get it". Sure the movie is decent, it plays out like most lower budget movies depicting nonfictional serial killers right down to the weird filming style and editing, and the crazy as batshit killer that goes all twiggy when the killer inside emerges. A decent watch, but pretty meh given all the hype.
½ February 24, 2012
The main characters over the top douche baggery made me loath most of the film until the last 25 minutes or so. Then it went full throttle crazy, but for me it was to late in the game.
½ December 10, 2011
A strangely effective crime drama mislabeled as a horror movie. It's at times gruesome and at times satirical. The acting is over the top, perhaps intentionally, but oddly, it works.
½ October 9, 2011
Great performances all around in a good/ not great film.
March 9, 2011
Great DISTURBING movie adapted from a novel!!!
March 1, 2011
January 8th 2011

Marc Senter plays a fantastic psychopath in this movie...its kind of all over the place and shoots from scene to scene character to character and you sit there thinking "whoah" but it keeps you watching. Quite funny in parts too. I hated Ray Pye...the short idiot.