The Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Man Reviews

March 29, 2013
Reading through reviews and critics' opinions and even users' opinions, no one seems to like it. I wonder, am I the only one who thoroughly enjoyed this movie? I've seen it 4 times and always watch it when it's on TV. I think it's hilarious and is quite an enjoyable watch!
March 16, 2013
The movie rests on a very thin plot which is the main reason for its failure. Only the character of Eugene Levy is carved out well, that of a simpleton dental supply salesman.
March 9, 2013
Without Eugene Levy, this movie would have been a train wreck. Actually, it's still a pretty big disaster, but he makes it funny enough that it's worth sitting through once. There's nothing new, and the laughs are cheap, but they're effective. I didn't dislike this as much as I thought I was going to.
March 7, 2013
"Agent Derrick Vann" (Samuel L. Jackson) is a street-wise federal agent with a bad attitude and is not well liked by anybody except his daughter. He is on the hunt of weapons dealer responsible for the murder of his partner, who was on the take.

"Andy Fiddler" (Eugene Levy) is a dental equipment salesman who is in town for a convention, and inadvertently gets directly involved with "Agent Vann's" case when the arms dealer's apparent liaison mistakes him for the undercover ATF agent.

This movie was marketed as a comedy, but the laughs are few and far between. In my opinion, if it were marketed as something other than a comedy it probably would have made more than the $8-million-plus in the US box office.

Also, with Jackson's character being an ATF agent, you would think there would be more gun-play. However, this is not the case. And the only good one is the one near the end of the movie. And none of the gunfights standout, and appear the gunfights in every other movie -- quite typical.

The only good part of this film, in my opinion is the teaming of Jackson and Levy. They worked well together with Jackson being the straight man to Levy as the comic of the two.

Another interesting part of the movie is the plot twist that directly affects the two main characters.

The story itself is not bad, but there are a few plot holes and little character development on the supporting cast.

To sum things up, The Man is not a good comedy. It's also only a fair cop/buddy movie where only the lead actors are the only good thing about it.
January 20, 2013
Boring and forgetable movie, that's all I have to say.
December 28, 2012
Mistaken identity movies aren't usually my cup of tea. But I love Samuel L. Jackson so I'll give it a try.
½ December 5, 2012
This was funny, but of course it was. Look who's in it. Eugene Levy. He can't help but be funny.
½ December 3, 2012
Very Underrated movie
December 2, 2012
listened to it from the other room, sounded kinda boring
October 31, 2012
Funnier than you think, not as funny as you'd hope for.
October 7, 2012
If there is 2 things bad in this film. Action star in a bad comedy and a bad bromance
September 11, 2012
2 great actors, horrible direction and mediocre script.
September 3, 2012
It's a lot better than 11%. It was actually pretty damn funny!
September 1, 2012
looks kinda funny , would see it on cable only
August 31, 2012
Really fun, but not much more. Has a very buddy cop feel and the story isn't too bad. It'll definitely have you laughing.
August 26, 2012
Uproariously funny Jackson & Levy are a good comedy duo
½ August 21, 2012
Jackson an levy in the same sentence does not sound right, so how the film was expecting to impress is beyond my comprehension.
½ July 9, 2012