The Matthew Shepard Story - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Matthew Shepard Story Reviews

March 14, 2014
Very power movie of a very powerful and tragic real story!
May 23, 2013
great movie makes you sad
TheDudeLebowski65
March 9, 2013
This made for TV movie about the murder of Matthew Shepard is a good movie, but it could have been much better as well. The biggest problem with the film is that it takes a true story, which is sad in itself and the filmmakers cut a bit of corners to give it that more dramatic feel. I just felt that the true story deserved to be told in a more respectful manner. For what it was, it was a good film, and it certainly was sad, but the filmmakers tried to manipulate a bit too hard on the facts and watered down the true story for the sake of a good Friday night movie. Acting wise, there were some good performances, but if you've seen many made for TV films in the past, then, it is so-so in caliber. The Laramie Project on the other hand was a far better movie on the true events and I felt it was a well acted picture that truly was respectful to the hate crime that was committed against Matthew Shepard, who was tortured and murdered because he was gay. Watch The Laramie Project instead, as this one mixes more fiction into its story for delivers a dramatic movie that just feels like it wasn't meant to be made. I don't think the filmmakers tried to cash in on the tragedy, but it just feels like they could have put a bit more effort into the movie and create a remarkable drama that is actually worth seeing. This one is good, but leaves a lot of room for improvement.
December 20, 2011
I'VE NEVER BEEN SO SCARED AND AFRAID TO BE ME, UNTIL I SEEN THIS MOVIE AND READ THE CASE FILE.
April 15, 2011
This is such an emotional sad film. i can't believe this happened in real life. i think everyone should see this film
January 14, 2011
this movie is heartbreaking and needs to be more reconized by people. It has powerful performances in this that are not to be missed!
August 20, 2010
Was exellent....amazing movie to such a sad true story.......
June 27, 2010
Some parts are horrifing and other parts you just wanna say why in hell would anybody do that?
July 8, 2009
Finally a film tackling homophobia that's "straight" enough to be aired on TV. Can't say anything about its direction and that but it has a clear message and is definitely worth watching.
½ March 30, 2009
Lifetime's turn on the murder of Matthew Shepard.
½ March 30, 2009
Lifetime's turn on the murder of Matthew Shepard.
January 19, 2009
Powerful story. Waterson NAILED the ending. But the production quality could not have been worse. If it weren't for the compelling relevance of this film's real-life background, it would be unwatchable.
December 13, 2008
very sad story, but very well portrayed
October 9, 2008
I might have saew this on tv. Either way, check it out.
September 15, 2008
Want to see after learning about his story.
September 13, 2008
Good made for TV movie. No where near as thought provoking or intense as 'The Laramie Project'.
August 6, 2008
This was a good movie. I saw it on Lifetime and thought it was really sad. That kid who killed Matthew deserved the death penalty. He's begging for his life, it's so stupid because he should thought about that before he killed Matthew.
½ July 3, 2008
r.i.p matthew i love this movie
June 8, 2008
The directing could have been better, but overall, this is a powerful, important film that documents a brutally depressing piece of history through extreme grace, art, and beauty. Pitch-perfect Emmy-winning performances allow this to extend much past its potential as a made-for-TV film. The closing scene was one of the most harrowing pieces of film-making I've seen in weeks (minus the annoying, literal song playing in the background.) Save a few flaws, "The Matthew Shepard Story" is a beautiful picture.
June 5, 2008