The Mercenary (Il Mercenario) (A Professional Gun) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Mercenary (Il Mercenario) (A Professional Gun) Reviews

½ January 5, 2017
A Zapata western which doesn't take itself too seriously. And fuck Tarantino for using its music.
½ August 2, 2016
Hard to rate this one. I saw it in the theatre when I was 13-15, and it made a strong impression on me. Seeing it again it is clear to me why it did. Morricone's music is stellar. Everything visual in this movie is stunning. The story is unusual and clever. The problem: the movie is REALLY dated. I think every cliché and trope about Mexico and revolutions is trotted out. I found myself thinking about a Mad Magazine send up of spaghetti Westerns that commented on laughing Mexicans played by Italian actors. Still worth seeing.
January 29, 2016
Pretty great camerawork and a decent storyline.
August 15, 2015
Nothing beyond Jack Palance and Morricone's music.
August 4, 2014
I love The beggining Part when He was a Clown before being a revolutionary
½ March 27, 2014
Lightweight, but well made spaghetti western from the #2 best director of the genre, Sergio Corbucci and starring Franco Nero and Jack Palance. Set during the Mexican Revolution, the story involves an sleazy mine owner being targeted by revolutionaries who hire the title mercenary. There are some nice Wild Bunch-like moments, plenty of action and some nice visuals. Top it off with an Ennio Morricone score (with uncredited work by Bruno Nicolai) and you have a solid western, even if the script is awfully silly and cliche ridden. Corbucci made a very similar film a few years later, "Compañeros" with much of the same cast in front of and behind the camera to a much greater effect.
March 19, 2014
Tuesday, March 11, 2014

(1968) The Mercenary/ Il Mercenario
DUBBED
SPAGHETTI WESTERN/ COMEDY

Directed by Sergio Corbucci of many Spaghetti Westerns, for this movie can be defined as one of Sergio Leone's influences for the 1971 film called "Duck You Sucker" or the USA title "A Fistful Of Dynamite" and vice versa, since this movie also borrows from Leone's 1964 film, "A Fistful Of Dollars" to "The Good, The Bad...". The ideas are somewhat similar, which involves a young mercenary-for-hire, called "The Polish" (Franco Nero)bonding with a wanted Mexican revolutionist, Paco Roman (Tony Musante). The only thing Polish cares about is the money, which is similar to the Rod Steiger character in "Duck You, Sucker", while both of their partners care about the reunification of Mexico. Anyone looking for any kind of Western historical accuracy are not going to find it here or any other Spaghetti Westerns, since they rely on total spontaneity, which the situations are intended for it's most radicalized direction. People who look for total Western accuracy are too thick and narrow minded to enjoy these movies that can be like any fictionalize Western novel ever made. And this is one of few films, aside from Leone's movies, Ennio Morricone's musical score stands out besides the movie itself.

3 out of 4 stars
February 9, 2014
I was 16 when I first saw this movie with a mate. Boys will be boys and we loved it- so much so we went back and saw it again. Guns landscape and some great characters and a brilliant soundtrack .I'm now 59, still mates with my pal and want to see this again! Guy
December 25, 2013
131225: Classic spaghetti. The beautiful Ralli was my highlight but also stars Nero and Palance. Could've been a bit shorter but otherwise a good film.
July 5, 2013
Sergio Corbucci yet again succeeded in making an absolutely awesome spaghetti western with Il Mercenario, or The Mercenary. It's comparable to Corbucci's later spaghetti Zapata western known as Companeros, which has a similar role from Franco Nero and Jack Palance, as well as from Thomas Milian (who is similar to Tony Musante in this movie). Il Mercenario is set during the Mexican revolution, where a Polish mercenary named Sergei Kowalski (Franco Nero) is hired by a revolutionary peasant named Paco Roman (Tony Musante) in order to bring independence to Mexico.

They form a somewhat love/hate relationship with each other, where although both of them have different morals (Sergei is leaning towards the money, while Paco is leaning towards freedom), they respect and work with each other. Nero is the epitome of cool (after Clint Eastwood, of course), with his smart, witty, anti-hero like traits as a Polish mercenary. Tony Musante as Paco Ramon reminded me of Tuco from The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, with his foolish and silly actions, along with his sense of humor, as well as how he teams up with Kowalski (like Tuco did with the Good). Jack Palance as Curly is flat out creepy, with his facial expressions defining his ruthlessness. Giovanni Ralli also does a good job at portraying a woman named Columba, who helps Kowalski and Ramon on their journey. There's tons of action, with machine guns practically destroying battlefields, as well as a fast pace that assures that you won't get bored.

The finale is amazing, and sent chills up my spine with its haunting music and the expressions of the characters by their faces. The soundtrack, which is by Ennio Morricone, is just as amazing as you would expect it to be, and the main song called "L'arena" was featured in Kill Bill Volume 2 and Inglourious Basterds. Overall, this is an unforgettable spaghetti western that should not be missed by fans of the genre, and even though it's not as good as Django and The Great Silence by Corbucci, Il Mercenario still remains one of the most entertaining and flat out cool westerns I've seen.
July 3, 2013
Franco Nero is the balls as the Polish Mercenary who services are hired by some Mexican revolutionaries. Jack Palnce is creepy as f**k as 'Curly' and Ennio Morricone provides an excelelnt soundtrack.
April 16, 2013
An oddly paced but reasonably enjoyable Italian western--Fast paced revolution!!
April 9, 2013
I've got this movie on a cheap DVD with 20 bad Westerns. The title for this movie on the DVD is "Revenge of a Gunfighter. This is just a cheap Italian Western set during the Mexican Revolution. It had to be set just before or during World War I since they had an airplane in the movie. It follows three men and one woman as they go from one robbery to another. The men are a Polish-American mercenary, a Mexican bandit turned revolutionary, and an American gambler. They go from one gunfight to another with no set-up in between. The characters are just one dimensional stereotypes. The gunfights are unrealistic and the many dead characters are replaced by other faceless characters to be shot down in the next gunfight. The cheap DVD had a very grainy faded copy of the movie. At the end of the movie I realized I had heard the music used in this movie before. A lot of it was used in Kill Bill Volume 2.
½ March 30, 2013
Another very good Spaghetti Western
February 8, 2013
Franco Nero is the balls as the Polish Mercenary who services are hired by some Mexican revolutionaries. Jack Palnce is creepy as fuck as 'Curly' and Ennio Morricone provides an excelelnt soundtrack.
½ January 28, 2013
Another good movie from Sergio Corbucci with memorable music by Ennio Morricone. Nevertheless, you must remember that this is a real B-class spaghetti western with emphasis on "spaghetti". Nero is not Eastwood, Corbucci is not Leone. But for genre fans this is one is still mandatory.
½ October 25, 2012
The Mercenary is a mostly rudimentary Zapata Western, but not being a fan of the particular subgenre, The Mercenary felt a bit flat and uninteresting. However, Morricone delivers perhaps the only other score of his movies that come close to his masterpieces. The score is so memorable and simply exhilarating, especially coupled with the fantastic showdown.
September 23, 2012
Ennio Morricone's music is fantastic as usual and the story has that same mix of humor, violence, and double crossing you'd come to expect from a spaghetti western.
June 1, 2012
This is one of the better Spaghetti westerns from the late 1960's......Franco Nero, Tony Musante, and Jack Palance are all in good form....a cool political western the theme of which was continued in Sergio Corbucci's next film Companeros....