The New Gladiators (I guerrieri dell'anno 2072) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The New Gladiators (I guerrieri dell'anno 2072) Reviews

June 14, 2013
The opening scenes (the flyover of a cardboard "futuristic" Rome) will be enough for most viewers to decide how much to imbibe before watching such cheese or to flip it off and find another movie. I don't know why I stuck around for the entire show outside the fact that it was oddly compelling to see a once great C-movie gore maestro Lucio Fulci (THE BEYOND; CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD; ZOMBIE) try out a sci-fi picture. He's obviously out of his element and/or didn't give one shit. Many Fulci fans point to MANHATTAN BABY as his worst film, and I'd almost agree. However, this one is so insulting and cheesy that it's a very close call.
½ November 18, 2012
Most reviews of this have been negative. Being a true fan of Fulci, I say this movie totally rocks. Just imagine if the Maestro had a huge budget to work with. Yeah, the miniatures, sets, battle hardware and graphics ARE cheap. That's besides the point. Fulci was clearly in total control of this production and knew what he wanted. This was a colorful sci-fi romp that demonstrated Fulci and crew in top form. Did anyone notice the house used for the murder set-up was also seen in Argento's Tenebrae. What about Reb Brown in the lead role of Drake!!!
½ October 27, 2012
Prisoners in 2072 try to escape modern televised gladiator games they are forced to fight. Network ratings have sagged for shows like Kill Bike and The Danger Game where torture endurance can earn you a dream vacation. Full of Fulci trademarks.
July 24, 2012
The tv ratings war transforms into deadly competition in the year 2072. Fulci tones down the overt gore for a low budget ROLLERBALL. Jared Martin is always welcome after his excellent Pabst commercial. Major budgetary restraints are hard to conceal with these model sets.
½ May 5, 2012
Watched this based on the plot & the fact that Lucio Fulci directed it. The story is very similar to The Running Man.
November 5, 2010
Pretty lousy Lucio Fulci film. I've never though much of Fulci. Other than a handful of his films, he's not much more than a gorehound, which isn't bad if you're in the right mood, but he's far from being an Bava or Argento. This film does get credit for telling the story of convicted criminals in the future going on TV to fight, kill, and die for the masses, ala "The Running Man", three years before "The Running Man" came out (but two years after the book was published under Richard Bachman (the book wasn't published under Stephen King's name until much later). I did kind of dig cheezy miniature shots of the futuristic Rome cityscape that really wanted to be "Blade Runner".
½ September 1, 2010
May 20, 2009
It takes a little while to get rolling but once it does it is pure gold.
February 2, 2009
"Lucio Fulci's The Running Man!" Now that the obvious joke is out of the way, this is one of the best bad movies I've seen in a long time. Everything about New Gladiators radiates that rare, wonderful form of bad that just makes you want to laugh out loud. The acting is overwrought, the story is absurd, the special effects are profoundly cheesy, every aspect of the "futuristic" world has dated horribly, and even the music is corny like little else. If ever a movie deserved the old "I can't believe MST3k didn't do this movie!", this is it. Honestly, I'm being a little harsh on New Gladiators. Cheesy though it may be, there are plenty of worse "we have seen the future, and it sucks" movies out there. Most of the action isn't much worse than anything in Rollerball or it's ilk. The only really BAD bad stuff comes from the meandering script, and even that isn't as ADD as most of the material Fulci and his contemporaries were working with in their more familiar horror genre. Still, anyone looking for an unintentional laugh riot can't go wrong with this baby.
December 9, 2008
It's like The Running Man and Rollerball (the original, not that God awful thing with LL. Cool J.) , but cheaper, on a budget, and Italian.

Lucio Fulci famed for his gore filled, nightmarish horror and zombie films, made an attempt at sci-fi adventure, about a future Rome where Gladiators are brought back in a tv show called "ThrillKill, where prisoners fight to the death. For plot, you can imagine on your own, a grim hero, an evil exec, a computer which starts thinking for itself, and a battle for freedom...I think...there were a few novel moments, when this film isn't sure if it wants to be sci-fi or horror and the inconsistency starts showing, but that's about it. In this films, "battle of the damned!", you get what you pay for.

I stayed awake throughout, but fell asleep immediately after.
October 14, 2008
Ehh.. Alright at a B picture level. Enjoy Fulci's horror more. Still this had a fun little apocalyptic theme going and damn those TV networks!
June 24, 2008
new show new quiz see on tvshow classic it gladiators
½ April 6, 2008
In short, it's kinda like a Fulci "Deathsport".
January 20, 2008
Fun stuff that I wouldn't have even thought of watching if Fulci's name wasn't attached.
December 31, 2007
Similar to Rollerball but not nearly as good.
November 10, 2007
Madmax meets Rollerball italian style :) If you want good laughs and you love b-movies then check this :)
September 29, 2007
this movie is really bad just like all troma movies is:(
September 28, 2007
The future on a buget Fulci style
September 21, 2007
even cheap b-class action/scifi movie, this is very artistic and has magical atmosphere.
September 15, 2007
a film with good ideas that were clearly too big for the budget. Castelleri would have probably done better with he material.