The Novice - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Novice Reviews

½ October 31, 2008
i hated this movie just a little bit for making me cry, but i still liked it.
amy acker is sweet and luminous in this underrated, nearly unheard-of gem. it does have heavy religious overtones, being as it's about a "novice" aka a young man training to be a jesuit priest. however, it doesn't preach to its audience, which saves it from being just another morality tale. I liked all the main characters, and i definitely laughed a few times, and i was rooting for the two main characters to get together. I guess because i myself have never been 'called' to anything, i can't imagine giving up a chance at love to join the church, and be celibate for life, but i do respect people who do. it's just a foreign concept to me.
in summary, a must for amy acker fans, and the main actor grew on me too. at first i thought he was plain looking, but as i started to like his character more and more i realized he's pretty easy on the eyes, and the two are adorable together (especially the pet names they call each other). If you can find it, it's worth a watch. I had to rent it in Instant View form through Netflix; that was the only place I could find it! I'm still looking for The Accident, another Amy Acker flick, which I've seen a trailer for, but is impossible to find! :(