The One Percent - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The One Percent Reviews

½ December 2, 2014
It's hard to review this documentary without commenting on the social issue it arises. In all I don't really think it's black and white, and whilst I agree that certain equalities are tipped one way, I don't believe this film really comes to grip with any real solution. It's a little like saying, "yes there's a problem, of which I think this may have something to do with it, but am not quite sure how to alleviate it."
October 11, 2014
Loved it. Great job. Warren Buffet's son's adopted twin daughter from his first wife's first husband gets disowned. That alone is something. Plus Milton Friedman is well cast as grumpy old man who knows everything.
April 2, 2014
I'm all about shedding light onto a very important topic. However, less than 10 minute in you could tell staged interviews. Truth goes harder than topic. Waiting for the real movie.
February 23, 2014
Buenísimo! Qué obtuso resulta apoyar al sistema que empobrece a la inmensa mayoría por la más ínfima "oportunidad" de ganarse la lotería social...
½ July 20, 2013
I appreciate the sentiment behind making this documentary and most of the content is interesting. Props to Jamie Johnson for trying to do something about what he believes is wrong. But as a documentary, it's quite horrible: from the writing, to shooting and editing, it looks like a bad high school movie project.
½ November 8, 2012
Amateurish quality doesn't detract from Johnson's earnestness about the subject. A good insight on the social inequalities in America.
½ November 5, 2012
Way to point out that black people are the problem with our country. There is nothing wrong with getting richer, but the 1 percent is a good reason to hate America.
September 25, 2012
though it made me yell at the tv a lot more than i am comfortable admitting, the filmmaker's unspeakable smugness and lack of professionalism so perfectly exemplified the attitude that inspires these kinds of beliefs that this might be one of my favorite movies now
June 2, 2012
good for info ., reaslly any info, non- academical or intellectual people such as the other 2 movie critics below cannot account for this movie for they are no genius .
May 6, 2012
Good premise, mediocre execution. The whole thing seemed in need of more research and deeper questions.
March 31, 2012
thought provoking to say the least.
March 31, 2012
Badly researched, under prepared.
½ March 5, 2012
Low production value, bad editing, choppy storytelling, ans blow out colors plague this file. Jamie johnson doesn't seems to have tried documentary filmmaking from watching docs as opposed to learning the craft. That said though, I enjoyed the film. It provides emotional access to the top %1 of americans and takes us places in their world we regular people will never go. It takes you into the psyche of some of these people. For better. A double feature of this film and his other "born rich " made for a good night
December 13, 2011
Fascinating 2006 documentary by Jamie Johnson, an heir to the Johnson & Johnson family fortune.

By virtue of his family name and connections, Johnson has access to people we would otherwise never see in a movie like this. He interviews his father, mother, and their financial advisor; Milton Friedman; Robert Reich; Ralph Nader; Nicole Buffett, the granddaughter of Warren Buffet; an heir to the Oscar Meyer family fortune who walked away from his inheritance; Bill Gates' father William Gates Sr., Paul Orfalea, the founder of Kinkos; and a number of others.

His interviews with his father are remarkably uncomfortable and painful. The dad seems conflicted to the point of being almost unable to speak.
December 6, 2011
While the concept is an interesting one Jamie Johnson proves to be a rookie when it comes to making a documentary. He is passionate and means well but lack meaningful content and meatier sources are a glaring shortcoming. I wish he had work on this longer and gotten a more experience partner to help him develop this to its full potential.
November 26, 2011
Watch this right now! The rich even agree they should pay at least the same percent of tax everyone else does. This just makes people hate Republicans even more. As it should.
November 21, 2011
thought provoking if nothing else
November 5, 2011
Very revealing look into how that one percent of the population lives! Directed by Jamie Johnson, an heir to the Johnson&Johnson family fortune, works on his school thesis by looking into the vast disparity between rich and poor and how this imbalance will impact society (this was shown in 2006 and look at the "Occupy Wall Street Movement of 2011)...Bull's eye! Of course to this one percent of the population, the recession has not affected them anywhere near as negatively as the rest of the population. Interviews with Kinko's founder Paul Orfalea, Steve Forbes, Jamie Johnson's father and also heirs to other fortunes reveal that the rich are getting richer while the poor will continue on a vicious cycle of poverty. I find it extremely troubling and frustrating that America's wealth is in the hands of a privileged few that can manipulate Congress to ensure they continue paying the least amount of taxes thanks to several loopholes in the tax codes that benefit large corporations. Its quite obvious that during this recession and even natural disasters the wealthy are not feeling a greater responsibility to reflect upon the problems surrounding the growing wealth gap; they are, in fact, trying to fatten their wallets and further insulate their lifestyles. Jamie Johnson also interviews Chuck Collins (heir to Oscar Mayer fortune), Milton Friedman, Adnan Kashoggi, Roy Martin, Karl Muth, Ralph Nader and a few others. Johnson also interviews cab drivers, factory workers and residents of housing projects for this documentary. Overall the director did a good job of showing us that this huge imbalance of wealth in America has economic and societal pitfalls to the point where anarchy may become a possibility in the not too distant future...
½ September 21, 2011
informative. good documentary.
August 18, 2011
An intriguing insider's perspective of life in the top 1% of the nation income-wise, and the crushing wealth disparity in this country. Although the doc feels amateur at times, that can be forgiven because the subject matter is handled in an intelligent, well thought out way. Johnson handles all sides of the issue very well, steering us in the right direction without ever manipulating the facts.