The Other Boleyn Girl - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Other Boleyn Girl Reviews

August 7, 2015
I felt this was pretty true to the book and I liked that. However, it was weird when the characters talked directly to the camera.
August 9, 2013
The Beeb always excels when it comes to the perfect mixture of both detail and drama. And then they leave the pageantry, and the exorbitant costs that come with it, to the Hollywood remake.
May 19, 2012
damn they had somemessed up things going on inthe royal fam. back then who knows what goes on nawwa days
½ January 26, 2012
I really enjoyed this BBC adaptation, it was good enough that although I was poo-pooing Philippa Gregory's idea of British History, I was deeply engaged in the lives of these two sisters. Unlike the film it doesn't make so many glaring historical innacuracies for cheap, over-dramatic thrills, and instead more excellently captures the deep and sticky world of sexual politics, as well as the deeply personal trauma of betrayl.
December 10, 2011
Same story but a different approach from the 2007 version. While the latter is visually appealing, the former's dialogue is superior, which goes a long way to explaining the motives and actions of the principals better.
September 15, 2011
This version way surpasses the later hollywood film. It is far more true to the original story, and the way it is filmed shows a flighty gossipy side to court life, as it was.

If you liked the book but disliked the 2008 film of the same name, give this a try, you wont be disappointed.
April 18, 2011
Slightly better than the Portman/Johannsen production.
January 22, 2010
Well I guess I have to give Jodhi May credit for portraying Anne to be such a bitch. She (Anne) probably was in real life. Anyway I couldn't appreciate this movie enough to give it more than two stars. I wasn't compelled to root for anyone except Mary and even then it was a lukewarm feeling. I do like Natascha McElhone essentially and maybe she played the character a little too simply for me. I wanted to see even more emotion than what she gave.
October 31, 2009
a perfect example of sibiling rivelry + a love triange.
½ October 4, 2009
beautyful picture.just loved it at once.
September 11, 2009
A great film and great re-telling of Mary Boleyn. I love all films to do with Henry VIII and it's not often that Mary's story gets told. Amazing film.
½ August 6, 2009
As a fan of Philippa Gregory's novel of the same name, I was disappointed in the 2008 movie version starring Natalie Portman and Scarlett Johansson. It deviated greatly from the book and focused too much on the sexual politics than anything else of substance. When I came across this 2003 BBC version, I hoped that it would be better than the later version. Sadly, though it is a more faithful adaptation, it is still a deficient production.

In the BBC version, Natasha McElhone stars as Mary Boleyn,who was Henry VIII's mistress before he became infatuated with Anne. I found Natasha McElhone's character portrayal to be lack luster, lacking conviction and failing to connect with me as the viewer. I actually felt Scarlett Johansson did a better job in conveying the innocence of the character than McElhone.

But the star of the show is definitely Jodhi May as Anne Boleyn - she happens to be one of my favorite period actresses [the other is Justine Waddell] and manages to convince the viewer of her inner charms that managed to not only capture the king's attention but provoke him into leaving his wife and moving away from the Church just so he could finally possess her. May's eyes are very expressive and credibly evoke her ambitions, much more persuasively than Natalie Portman did in the 2008 movie version.

As for Henry VIII, the actor portraying him, Jared Harris does a credible job, and a lot better than the petulant, hissy king portrayed by Jonathan Rhys-Meyers in The Tudors [a cable series].

The production values in this BBC production fall far short of the superior quality of both the cable series and the 2008 movie version. The low budget makes this a rather colorless production in terms of costumes, sets and cinematography. I still prefer the book.
July 27, 2009
An interesting history refresher.
½ July 23, 2009
This was a good film :) I was surprised since I accidentally got the 2003 version, but it was a pleasant surprise. This BBC production was actually just fine, and I was surprised that I recognized so many faces -.-x Anyway, worth a watch, but now I need to get the right version.
June 5, 2009
This was a well made film which tells the debauched story of the Boleyn girls. A good solid cast but no outstanding performances. Worth seeing if you are a history fan or a fan of costume dramas.
½ May 21, 2009
The BBC version of this film is dire. Avoid at all costs. They talk to the camera like they are being interveiwed for tv! Jodhi May was awful as Anne. Far to ugly to be the beautiful witty sedutress she is ment to be.
½ April 11, 2009
I was told that the BBC version of this novel was better than the film, so I have watched this first. Very enjoyable, cleverly done, with each girl telling her story. Good acting, the other thing that bothered me was the casting of Jodhi May as Anne Boleyn, who was meant to be beautiful and Jodhi May looks particularly plain in the role.
April 3, 2009
Superior to the Bana/Portman version of 2008.
March 31, 2009
Real depiction about dictatorship disguised as a monarchy...
March 31, 2009
Real depiction about dictatorship disguised as a monarchy...