The Other Side of the Mirror - Bob Dylan Newport 1963-1965 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Other Side of the Mirror - Bob Dylan Newport 1963-1965 Reviews

March 7, 2008
The footage, including the light and sound, is excellent. This film is mesmerizing. I'd never seen such a young Dylan. I loved the very subtle aging, coming of age, captured in this film.
February 6, 2008
Chronicling Dylan's years at the Newport Folk Festival from 1963-1965, documentary filmmaker Murray Lerner has crafted a stunning look at the greatest songwriter of our time. By stripping away all excess and simply letting us watch the footage of Dylan playing, Lerner allows us as an audience to trace the evolution of Dylan's music from 63-65, and the change is startling. Compare the fairly reserved, quiet musician in 1963 to the confident stage performer in 1965, and Dylan's quick growth becomes evident. Also presented here is the infamous electric set, which in retrospect, changed folk music forever.
January 31, 2008
footage of bob dylan. it couldnt possibly be bad
January 2, 2008
Yet another side of Bob Dylan, winningly diffident before an adoring (and likely astonished) crowd; and of Joan Baez, who renders "With God on Our Side" with a surprising wallop. Great movie, right down to the sublime closer. Cinema Village, 12/27/07.
December 24, 2007
i like the interview with lerner when he explains montage and the interrelationship between music, literature, and film. you watch dylan perform a song like north country blues in a topical song writing workshop, with judy collins or pete seeger looking on in the background, and you wonder whether this really might be a multi-dimensional incarnation of ezra pound or t.s. eliot. the problem of reaching the masses with an authentic witness to the american experience is a perpetual one, and newport opened up new possibilities. also, joan baez makes me melt.
½ December 8, 2007
Great chronicle of Dylan's evolution from 1963-65. The performances are awesome, the picture and sound is also awesome. If you like Dylan, check it out.
November 24, 2007
I'm watching this movie right now. Dylan's the man. This movie has proof that Joan Baez was the actual originator of that bullshit cliche Dana Carvey nasally Dylan impression. And now its got the oldest footage I've seen of him playing with Johnny Cash, nice.
½ October 13, 2007
Saw this as part of the New York Film Festival. One hour and sixteen minutes of pure bliss in the form of concert footage. I love Bob Dylan.