The Over-the-Hill Gang - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Over-the-Hill Gang Reviews

October 24, 2013
A pair of Western comedies with a concept - make the sidekicks the stars. The made-for-TV (by Aaron Spelling) result is servicable enough, but too sterile for my taste.

In the first, Pat O'Brien plays an aged former Texas Ranger captain whose daughter summons him to Boulder, where the town is being run into the ground by a corrupt mayor and his cronies. Her husband, Ricky Nelson, is running for mayor but doesn't stand a chance. The captain sends out the call for the best of his former crew - all guys who are washed up and slowed down by age.

So we have Walter Brennan, Chill Wills and Edgar Buchanan. The cast also includes squeaky voiced Andy Devine (as a corrupt judge), and Jack Elam as the bad sheriff.

Good enough for a sequel, part two leaves out Pat O'Brien and concentrates on Brennan, Wills and Buchanan. They get word that a former Ranger friend is in trouble in Waco. They arrive and find out that he is dead. They head to the saloon for a drink and notice an old drunk at the end of the bar. Well, that's their friend, the Baltimore Kid, played by Fred Astaire. They take him and get him sobered up and cleaned up. Soon, he's ready to be town marshall, with the help of the three aged Rangers.

These were part of a four-movie disc that was purchased for $5 at Farm and Fleet in Bloomington, Illinois. I beginning to believe this was a money losing proposition all around - for me, for the store and for the company that packaged these crap movies on DVD.
½ October 24, 2013
I remembered this being a lot better back in 1969 than it was this time around. It seems soooo made for television and although it was amusing, it wasn't hilarious or anything. Great cast.
October 24, 2013
Western Starring Pat O'Brien, Walter Brennan, Chill Wills & Edgar Buchanan. Four Retired Texas Rangers Reunite To Rid A Small Town Of Corruption In This Family Themed Western.
October 24, 2013
110905: Quaint. Had me laughing a few times. As my father used to say, and as played out in this film, "old age and treachery will always win over youth and skill".
jjnxn
October 24, 2013
While its nice to see the old time character actors all gathered together the script is silly and a good deal of the acting weak. Gypsy's last film, she looks remarkably good considering she was dying of cancer at the time.
½ December 7, 2012
Despite good acting from the cast and good atmospheric music, The Over-the-Hill Gang is too basic and uncreative.
It's also made in an especially poor quality, even by 1969 standards.
Theres also very little to be entertained by and slow pacing just makes it worse.
I think this would have entertained fans of the actors more than anyone, but it sure as hell didn't entertain me.
½ July 24, 2009
Ouch. These old guys should have stopped at "go".
January 14, 2008
Not the western I'd prefer...but it's actually silly-funny at times...
December 27, 2007
A really fun movie with many of the great character actors of all time.
July 7, 2007
A great response to western cliches and a hilarious one at that. The story follows a team of geriatric Texas Rangers as they reform to take down a corrupt mayor. Light-hearted family fare starring some veterans of the genre.
June 24, 2007
What a poopy film. The sequal actually made this film look like it is great.
But alas, it isn't good, not at all.
Don't watch it.
January 22, 2007
i know i rated it low and thats becuz it is quite a bad movie but for some reason i like it. in a very small way.