The Pied Piper of Hützovina - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Pied Piper of Hützovina Reviews

½ May 21, 2012
"The Pied Piper of Hützovina" is one of the worse documentary movies I have ever seen. The director is trying to be a director by a kitsch type of narration (as she had to put a movie together somehow of raw material of shots and raw love of a fan), and ??????? is trying to be a gypsy. I don't know who won. Audience didn't.
If you like the music of Gogol Bordello, it's fine to watch it. Plus there are some funny and almost real moments captured which are worth to watch, that's why I gave 1.5 stars, but the movie is not a professional work.
½ February 12, 2012
I love Eugene Hutz, and it was kind of neat to follow him around for a while, but it just felt a bit pathetic by the end
½ April 1, 2011
poorly put together.... this movie had no real meaning behind it and it didnt get anywhere....yes, he is spreading gypsy music, but the film barely even says that! i love eugene hutz and i LOVE gogol bordello but this movie, *sigh* im dissapointed.... oh! and giving it 1 1/2 stars is actually being nice
September 9, 2010
i would give this 5 stars purely based on my unconditional love for Gogol Bordello, BUT i gotta try to be less biased. as far as documentaries go, this was done pretty well. i just wish she didn't mention Eugene rejecting her so many times during this film since she claimed this movie is all about the gypsy music. then again it made it more personal and him more human.
August 8, 2010
Great watch for anyone interested in Eugene/Gogol Bordello or Gypsy culture.
½ February 18, 2010
a pretty simple and straightforward documentary that I found deeply touching. Eugene Hutz is a wonderful person!
October 8, 2009
Follow Eugene Hutz around Europe? Sure, I'll go.
½ October 4, 2009
okay so im biast. because im in love with eugene hutz. he could poop in a paper bag and i would think it was great. xD;
½ July 25, 2009
Entertaining. But Eugene seems to keep both Pavla and the camera at arms length, resulting in a sort of ineffective character study or maybe a sort of pointless documentary.
June 3, 2009
gogol bordello is a freaking amazing experience. this could have been much much more thorough. its worth a view if just for some of the gypsy camp footage.
February 10, 2009
such a shame that pavla was so infatuated by hutz that she was completely incapable of putting together a decent, revealing documentary. the most telling part of it is the "making of the film" special feature where we find that she is clueless about the subject matter, and was just using the whole thing as an extravegent flirting exercise, destined for failure.

unfortunately i didn't want a glimpse into the psyche of an obsessed, cock-hungry 'film-maker' .. i wanted to find out about the enigmatic, infectious eugene hutz.

right subject, right setting, wrong director.
½ January 11, 2009
Really interesting, but I wish the girl wasn't so emotionally involved. She wouldn't shut up about how Eugene rejected her and was using her. It was pretty assy of him to use her for the free trip, but she was way too needy. I just wanted to be like, IT'S ABOUT THE GYPSY MUSIC, QUIT WHINING. She also admitted she forgot to film the end. Uh...what?
November 10, 2008
wasnt what i was expecting
November 9, 2008
there's not to much to say about this documentary. i found it interesting because i like gogol bordellos music.
October 13, 2008
I had no expectations when I saw this film, and was pleased at some of the moments Fleischer captured on film. The scene with Zita in one of the Gypsy camps is lovely and moving. Hutz is very cagey about his life, but was very entertaining and captivating in what he chose to show - I particularly liked how he wouldn't reveal destinations and avoided Fleischer's pathetic attempts to win him. Sadly, this is what tinged the film and I'm left thinking more about Fleicher's unrequited love than the Gypsy music....I would have liked to see more/hear more of the music and the spirit.
September 15, 2008
There's not too much point to this documentary. It appears the filmmaker chose Eugene Hutz because she had romantic feelings for him and thought he felt the same. But Eugene is a rock n roll machine that can't be contained. There's really not a movie here but what's there is pretty damn entertaining IF (and only if) you are already a Gogol Bordelo fan.
August 23, 2008
Really excellent movie in which a Czech filmmaker (Pavla Fleischer) follows Eugene Hutz of Gogol Bordello across Ukraine through Russia to Siberia exploring the roots of Roma/Gypsy culture and also meeting his Grandma.

I miss the East.
July 31, 2008
Loved it. Can't wait for the next Gogol Bordello concert
June 22, 2008
This movie was not what I was expecting. The whole thing is only an hour long and really it doesn't feel like anything happens. I thought it would be more about Eugene's life. The only thing that saves this is from being really bad is Eugene playing.
June 14, 2008
Great movie, though I diliked the way the documentarian focused on her obsession over Eugene Hutz. I would have liked it to be more about the culture they were experiencing together and the cultural shift/rifts that has been created.