The Portuguese Nun (A Religiosa Portuguesa) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Portuguese Nun (A Religiosa Portuguesa) Reviews

February 8, 2013
The directing of the dialoges are so bad, so bad, so bad, that works as an incentive that anyone can make a movie. That is the only positive side on this waste of money.
Sounds like pre teens on a school theatre play.
Yes, the cutting looks as a homage to Manoel de Oliveria. He took the worse of him.
April 20, 2012
Para los fans del cine contemplativo, paisajes, secuencias largas y camara subjetiva. Una actriz francesa viaja a Lisboa a protagonizar una pelicula sobre la vida de una monja y su romance con un general. Pero vemos como cambia la vida del personaje principal y su buena relacion con su medio ambiente. Bien actuada y dirigida, aunque pudieron haberla contado en media hora. (texto intencionalmente sin acentos).
July 30, 2011
I saw everything just to mock. It's really bad.
May 27, 2011
Complete and utter rubbish. Do not waste your money on this clap trap. The most boring film I have ever seen.
½ May 10, 2011
The acrobatic flying team Bilingual Baby has been thrilling audiences for more than 20 years. Now, you can watch members of the Lisbon, Portugal, Europe's popular language as they attempt daring fluency maneuvers and bold aerial formations. "I found this movie great great :)
½ February 4, 2011
Not for everyone, this is a stylized and unconventional look at a woman's visit to Lisbon... reassessing her life. The director is a director in the film, making what looks like a stylized and unconventional film about a woman assessing her life... Lisbon looks lovely.
½ January 27, 2011
Half of the time watching the film is spent admiring the beautiful music and scenery, and the rest of the time you wonder what on earth is going on. However having asked yourself "is this for real?" throughout most of the film, you cannot help but smile when the film concludes in a thoroughly satisfying manner. Self-conscious, clever and funny, if a little off-the-wall.
½ January 17, 2011
In terms of a satisfying night out for anyone other than the snootiest of cinephiles, we could maybe do with rather less transparent performances: Baldaque, in particular, is as diaphanous, as barely there, as some of the light cotton frocks she's clad in, and if that's perhaps the point - that, like many actresses, she goes where the wind takes her, an empty vessel that requires filling up - it suggests a fairly low opinion of actresses. And I'd have liked to see more evidence of humour, some sense Green knows just how cranky and recherche he's being (cf. Guy Maddin)... Mostly, though, the tone is dry and academic, like Raul Ruiz deprived of the twinkle in his eye. Green casts himself as the director of the film-within-the-film, and gives himself a heroically embarrassing discotheque sequence ("Hipness can be pretty depressing," he sighs); a roguish, shaggy-haired Billy Connolly lookalike, he gives the impression of somebody who has the potential to provide real, valuable mischief at the expense of our hidebound filmic traditions, but that impression isn't quite realised here. What "The Portugues Nun" shares with Jose Luis Guerin's "In the City of Sylvia" - which managed to project a similar timelessness without ever seeming quite this *stuffy* - is a sure and seductive feel for the streets of a city in summertime. But this, too, is ephemeral, and must pass.
½ January 3, 2011
If you watch movies solely for entertainment stay the fuck away! The Portuguese Nun tells the story of a french actress whom goes to Lisbon for a film shoot. One night she sees a nun kneeling in a chapel in the city, and she begins to grow more and more intrigued. It is a slow paced film that is really beautifully poetic, though it is definitely not for everyone. Its a very intellectual piece for starters and for anyone not familiar with Eugène Green work, his directorial style is very unique and does take some getting used too. Green is obsessed with his lead actress, Leonor Balaque, and I honestly can understand why. Her eyes are piercing. Green breaks the forth wall countless times, having many of the actors looking right into the camera. Green knows that his film is not conventional or what many would deem "entertaining". In the beginning when the young actress is checking into her hotel, she has a conversation with the man behind the counter about how french films are too intellectual and/or boring. Sure I could say it drags a bit in parts but its very pretty and features some beautiful compositions. The dialogue has a weird brand of humor at times, but it really makes you more than just an observer with its intellectual segments. The film also does a great service to Lisbon with his slow pans and static shots, really showcasing the beauty of the city. One scene towards the end of the film when the Actress finally confronts the nun is just about perfect. The dialogue is sharp, beautiful and intellectually stimulating. Robert Bresson would honestly be very proud of this film. As stated throughout my review, some will find this tedious or boring, but as our young protagonist says while defending her film within the film: "I find it compelling" and personally I would have to agree.
½ January 2, 2011
Se há algo que se salva são as belas imagens de Lisboa e as canções. Devido a isso, pode-se visioná-lo com relativa facilidade. Creio que há que se encontrar um meio-termo entre a estupidez dos blockbusters e o intelectualismo do cinema autoral, muitas vezes infrutífero.
½ November 1, 2010
Fado meeleolus film Armastusest.Erose agape kollosioon. Filmimaailma ja reaalitI põimumine. Lihtsad, mõjusad dialoogid.