The Prince and the Pauper (Mickey's the Prince and the Pauper) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Prince and the Pauper (Mickey's the Prince and the Pauper) Reviews

May 30, 2015
You will rule the land with your heart, justify and wisely.

A poor Mickey Mouse chases Goofy into the kingdom one depressing night. Both are starving and they just want to eat like a king one night. Mickey runs into the prince and they discover they look exactly alike. The prince has a burning desire to get out of the kingdom so they switch places. Shortly after the switch the king dies and a royal official discover the change. Things quickly become complicated.

"If I could take your place for just one day."

George Scribner, director of Oliver and Company, delivers The Prince and the Pauper. The storyline for this picture is fun and unfolds well. It incorporates your Disney characters in an entertaining and fun way. This animated volume also has additional royalty related cartoons. The animation is classic Disney and well done.

"I'd love to live just like a king."

I came across these Disney collections on Netflix online and decided to give them a shot. My daughter has loved them and is glued to them from beginning to end. This isn't my favorite collection so far, but it is worth a viewing and borderline worth adding to your collection.

"Secret handshake!"

Grade: B+/A-
July 27, 2014
(First and only viewing - 7/30/2010)
March 25, 2013
I'm being totally serious when I say this is one of the best short films I've seen. Everything from the music to the animation to the storytelling is done to the best degree. It really makes me wish Disney would do a full-length version of "The Prince and the Pauper".
November 4, 2012
My only problem I have is that it should have been longer
March 23, 2012
Typical Disney fun. Great for the whole family.
½ February 18, 2012
cute disney movie, great for children and for the children in all of us
January 17, 2012
Okay so now that Snow White and the Seven Dwarves is out of the way, all that's left for the Disney Marathon is Atlantis: The Lost Empire which will be made my 200th review tonight. But before I get to that film, as my 199th review, I want to share with you all a very underrated animated short. One that was one of my oldest friends movie wise growing up to the point that when my dear mother found it only about two weeks ago, all I could do as she gave it to me was make a silly excited squeal as I hugged the tape. So before we say our farewells to the 100's of my reviews, let me introduce to you an animated short that you never even heard of and is super underrated and one I highly recommend: Disney's The Prince and the Pauper.

Plot: A wise and good king of England lies dying, leaving his ruthless and evil captain of the guard, Pete to steal and terrorize the people of England in the name of the king. The one day, a Pauper named Mickey chases his dog Pluto all the way to the King's castle where he is captured by Pete and ordered to be brought to the prince. But when he meets the prince, they find out that they look and sound exactly alike. The Prince who dreams of life outside of the castle, comes up with the idea of trading lives with Mickey. So as Mickey discovers the life of royalty, the prince wanders outside the castle where he discovers the terror that Pete has done all over the kingdom in the name of his father.

I'm just going to say it straight and true. This is a wonderful film. Ever since I was a kid and even now I found every single thing in this film to be just undoubtedly awesome. The characters were lovable, the animation was excellent, the music was spectacular, the comedy was funny a heck, everything was just well done. The only weird thing was *WARNING SPOILER ALERT! DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT LOOKING AT THIS ONE UNLESS YOU'VE SEEN JUST BECAUSE I SAID SO* that there was a door in the castle that lead nowhere which the Prince, Donald and Goofy used to get rid of the guards. That didn't really make sense. But that's doesn't ruin it for me even now that I've grown up.

Characters:
Mickey and the Prince: Now of all the original Disney characters, Mickey was always my favorite because he was the hero and the leader. Now in this one there are two Mickeys that give us the same fun we can get with just one. They were so much fun.
Donald and Goofy: Now I may not be an expert in Donald and Goofy, but for me this is where I thought Donald for sure was at his funniest in this film. I just love his parts in the film from beginning to end. Goofy may not have gone that far for me but he's still just as lovable.

Music: Like I said, the music is spectacular. "Like a King" and it's reprise was fun and you can't tell me that the score isn't just very well done.

And that's my review for The Prince and the Pauper. If you've never seen it, you should check it out. Because for me, it's another underrated film that I want to be shown to my children and their children just as much as I do with Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Disney in general, Harry Potter, The Lord himself and so many others.
August 20, 2011
Saw just a small piece.
July 3, 2011
Typical Disney fun. Great for the whole family.
½ December 7, 2010
Short but dynamic film in which Mickey Mouse plays the title roles, Donald Duck plays a bitter assistant, Goofy plays the clumsy friend, Pluto the loyal pet and Peter plays the villain... What's new here? Only the story where they were matched successfully. I first saw this movie when I was 7 and now that I watched it again, I still felt amused but a little tired of the same repetitive formula.
½ January 17, 2010
This was the first movie I ever bought (on VHS) haha I love it <3

Classic =)
November 26, 2009
I remember that I always wanted to see this movie when I was a kid but I never did because the vhideo wasn't available. Well, then I got to watch it as a adult in stead and I wasn't dissappointed. This is the classic story about the prince who wonders about how life would be if he wasn't rich and famous, and the pauper who dreams about wealth and good life. When these two meet they discover that they in fact have identical looks so they decide to switch lives for just a day.