The Princess and the Pirate - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Princess and the Pirate Reviews

September 1, 2014
A fun screwball comedy with Bob Hope excellently leading the cast
½ June 7, 2014
awesome pirate parady pic that's 3 in a row!
½ December 8, 2013
Silly but quite good Bob Hope comedy where he and Virginia Mayo are on the run from pirate Victor McLaglen. The great Walter Brennan also plays a pirate to great comedic effect. Bob Hope doesn't get enough respect nowadays. I wasn't a huge fan of his stand-up, but as a comedic film actor, I think he was great. I also quite liked Virginia Mayo, who I really only remember from a couple westerns. I think I'd like to see her in more stuff.
½ December 4, 2013
Old Bob Hope films were always amongst my favourites growing up, and this is one of his funniest. He plays Sylvester The Great, man of seven faces ("I travel a lot. With my act, it's safer!") who saves runaway princess Virginia Mayo from the clutches of evil buccaneer The Hook. The gags flow thick and fast complete with Hope's usual self-deprecating one liners and loads of slapstick and sight gags; if you imagine Pirates Of The Caribbean done by the Marx brothers you're in the right ball park. Walter Brennan is hilarious as a crazy old pirate and Mayo is very easy on the eye in the classic tradition of old style Hollywood glamour. It still makes me laugh out loud pretty much non-stop after all these years and is the kind of classic comedy that appeals to every age.
½ June 7, 2013
This is one of my favorite Bob Hope movies.
½ December 17, 2012
Bob Hope at his best. Virginia Mayo drop dead gorgeous. Funny as can be. Slyvester: "I'll chop off his liver! Say, that might be pretty good, chopped liver".
May 12, 2012
May 12, 2012
Watched it alot as a child and Bought it and watched it and still it makes me laugh
May 3, 2012
Wacky fun as The Great Sylvester,The Man With Seven Faces, sort of a early travelling performance artist, gets caught up with bloodthirsty pirates and a beautiful woman on the infamous Spanish Main. "Haven't you got any backbone, the girl asks our intrepid hero. "Yes, but not like you have", is the quick reply. Innocuous entertainment with the obligatory cameo at the last few frames ... guess who?
February 2, 2012
This is the test movie to see if I like someone... lol...
October 15, 2010
One of my favourite Hope movies, it's hilarious, and I love the ending. I highly recommend it if you're a fan too.
November 28, 2009
This is the test movie to see if I like someone... lol...
June 2, 2009
Some insanely funny lines, I could quote them but then you might not watch the movie.
May 13, 2009
January 21, 2009
I love this movie. I laugh every time I see it. You sort of have to get 1940s humor to fully enjoy it.
½ December 27, 2008
One of the first movies I ever watched and it still makes me laugh.
November 20, 2008
I like the Classical Pirate Movies. They dont have those special effects like the Pirate Movies these days, but they were descent. Amazing I have seen some of the Classical Pirate Movies, which had great special effects not great as POTC, but great.
August 9, 2008
I love bob hope
He is so funny in this movie he plays a coward very well lol
May 10, 2008
How could you not love Bob Hope with all his korny lines? This is one of my fav's.
February 1, 2008
CLASSIC ALL-TIME FAVORITE! "where's the pirncess???!!!"