The Rat Race - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Rat Race Reviews

jjnxn
November 14, 2010
Debbie, tough as nails as a worn down dancer, and Tony are well matched in this tough little drama of two people thrown together by hard times. Because it's from the late studio period the squalidness of the actual city is at a minimum but this still offers a clear eyed view of some of the difficulties of making it in the Big Apple. Jack Oakie and Kay Medford offer some welcome comic relief.
½ December 18, 2008
This was a pretty good movie, a love story really, but watch for Don Rickles playing a truly seedy character years before he became a famous comedian.
½ October 25, 2008
This was such a cute movie. There was such a chemistry between the actors and I wish that nowadays movies were written this well. Even the extras in this movie are better than most headlining actors today.
October 14, 2008
This movie was pretty damn good. Not overtly sexual, yet dealt with adult situations.
August 28, 2008
I witty film from the glorious early 1960s.
½ July 21, 2008
Bravo. Bravo to Tony Curtis and Debbie Reynolds. I loved this movie. And I wished I had it. I love the dashing Tony that fights to keep Debbie safe. And as much as it pains me, Debbie makes a good slut. Their romance blossoms and I get goosebumps.
½ June 16, 2008
This is a nice find. A young Debbie Reynolds is something to behold as the put-upon reluctant dance hall girl, and Tony Curtis is excellent as the too-naive-to-be-true Midwestern bumpkin who comes smack up against the evil big city of New York. Curtis is very convincing as the all-forgiving eternal optimist musician, and Reynolds shines as the good girl bordering on sainthood, but the best performance here is turned in by the amazing Don Rickles as the nasty tough guy who runs the dance hall. Rickles gives what may be the dramatic performance of his career. Check out the scene where he demonstrates to Reynolds that she indeed has nothing except what he chooses to give her.
June 11, 2008
Witty as hell...OMG!!! I laughed so hard off and on thru/out the movie. It's realistic, sad, frustrating and funny all in one! And I'm not a big Debbie Reynolds fan. But I enjoyed it. And Debbie and Tony were both terrific!
April 4, 2008