The Real Buddy Holly Story - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Real Buddy Holly Story Reviews

½ March 12, 2014
This is the one to watch, not that Hollywood fairytale starring Gary Busey.
December 12, 2013
love true stories and to learn about this years later. tragic end for a wonderful entertainer.
½ July 16, 2012
love buddy holly. great job paul.
July 14, 2012
Great documentary plus it's hosted by Paul McCartney!
June 13, 2011
Hard to find, but definitely worth watching.
½ September 26, 2010
A nice little documentary of Buddy Holly and his influence with some really interesting old footage and a good bit of material on the time.
July 18, 2010
This is true story about buddy not the one gary busey I recommend this one.
March 19, 2009
ok ok ok ok ok ok ok ok
½ February 10, 2009
Anyone who hasn't seen this needs to see it if you're a fan of Buddy Holly or a fan of music of the 50's. Even if you're neither you should still check it out.
October 22, 2008
appreciated the effort by paul mccartney. much more faithful to holl[e]y's life and career, but seems a bit too pretentious. could easily be retitled "the real buddy holly story of how he influenced the beatles"
October 18, 2008
great movie to bad buddy holly died of young age and he had a short life he had great music to and he was born where i was! well Both musicians and those interested in the social history of 1950s rock 'n' roll will enjoy this documentary on the great Buddy Holly. Slickly produced it's not, but the slightly amateurish feel goes well with the raw, pure sound of Holly and the Crickets---before he moved to New York and added strings and harp to his music. It's fun to imagine the touring days when the Crickets, Chuck Berry, the Everly Brothers, Dion and the Belmonts, Jerry Lee Lewis, Fats Domino, Little Richard, and other now-legends traveled from town to town on buses, sitting in with each other's acts when somebody was sick or otherwise unable to play. Scenes with Holly's family, schoolmates, and girlfriends not only reveal his small-town background but demonstrate that he knew early on what he wanted to do, and show his determination to do it. Despite the drive that took him to stardom, those around him unanimously say he kept his down-home nice-guy personality to the end. Nobody who's played rock music can deny what Paul McCartney and Keith Richards make clear: We all owe what we play in large part to Buddy Holly. As Richards says, "Not bad for a guy from Lubbock, right?"
July 28, 2008
Paul McCartney's faithful rendition of Buddy Holly's life. More interesting than my #5
June 16, 2008
Great documentary on Buddy Holly.
June 8, 2008
Buddy Holly is a legend in the Rock 'n' Roll era
this hosted by Sir Paul McCartney (ex-Beatle) tells you the beging from Buddy up to the Day the Musoc died way back on Feb 3 1959

Rave On!!!
April 10, 2008
I'll eat an Irish grape farmer's Scottish terrier before I watch this eggnog-o-rama.
January 31, 2008
movie poster for the real buddy holly story
November 19, 2007
Awesome!!! Hosted by Paul McCartney, lots of interviews with friends, rare footage...just really well done!!
August 31, 2007
That'll be the Day...when I finally see this long-awaited movie (At least for me). XP
January 19, 2007
a brill film bout grandfather of rock n roll....charles hardin holley aka buddy holly.partly u get a idear of the legend that is buddy holly........buddy lives even 47 years since his untimely death..............
May 28, 2006
a awsome story, I can't believe its true