The Real Glory: Reconstructing 'The Big Red One' - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Real Glory: Reconstructing 'The Big Red One' Reviews

½ January 27, 2009
Very intense & somehow diffirent to all the other warmovies. Lee Marvin & his "four horsemen" fight they way through diffirent battlefields in WW II. Quite realistic & tough war scenes ensues. And on of the funniest baby-delivery-scene seen on movies.
January 10, 2009
Documentary about 'The Big Red One' that comes with the reconstruction 2 disc DVD set. Typical interviews with all the actors involved and people talking about the process of adding the deleted scenes to the original movie to bring it closer to what Sam Fuller originally had originally intended.
December 8, 2008
no thanks not my thing
½ September 23, 2008
Saksalaiset puhuu englantia, ei näin.
½ September 11, 2008
really spectacular. It felt similar to Full Metal Jacket in a way, but more personal and more of an exploration. So many memorable moments. It felt like a good marriage between modern and classic film.
½ September 10, 2008
I hate war films, but this was fantastic! authentic and highly recommended.
½ August 29, 2008
One of the first war movies that really stuck with me. The scene with the guys in the trenches getting crushed by the tanks haunted my dreams for ages.
½ August 27, 2008
I appreciated it, but it didn't touch my heart. But I want to see other Fuller's movies.
August 24, 2008
One of Samuel Fuller's masterpieces and probably one of the best films about World War II ever made. Very, very highly recommended.
½ August 19, 2008
An excellent war epic. The film focuses more on character than battles, though that's not to say the battle scenes are poor. Dated maybe, but then films such as Saving Private Ryan redefined how we saw battle on the big screen. However, when the characters go through all that the war throws at them, it's no bad thing. More importantly, the director himself actually served in the 1st Infantry. Therefore, you know that the director went through the same emotional highs and lows that the characters go through.
½ August 17, 2008
I just couldn't get into this movie for some reason.
½ August 6, 2008
Fabulous war movie. It shows all the stupidity and irony of the war.
July 24, 2008
awesome war movie. Brilliant performance by lee marvin. And watch Mark Hamill use a different kind of force.
July 17, 2008
I only came across the reconstructed version of this superb movie about a year ago. I was puzzled at how such a great film had passed me by. I didn't remember the "original" being nearly so good. Then I read all the controversy about the original drastic editing in 1980, to almost half the length, after the panic about the duration of Heaven's Gate. I realised I was watching essentially a completely different film.

This is a really excellent War Movie, with not just plenty of, but good character development and exploration of the accute moral dilemas for those caught up in conflict.
July 12, 2008
This may very well be my absolute favorite WWII film. All of the random elements seem to come together seamlessly. All of the actors do an outstanding job. Lee Marvin is the quintessential grizzled old sergeant. Mark Hamill does a great job outside of his usual Star Wars or voice acting venue. The almost episodic way the movie is presented is very appropriate for the story it tells. Adding to all that is the fact that this movie was made by a veteran of the 1st Infantry Division, who based all or most of the events seen in the film on personal experiences or things he heard of from others. Perhaps the best thing about this movie is the fact that it intentionally tries not be epic in scope, unlike Saving Private Ryan. The very simple, matter-of-fact way it presents itself is what makes it so easy to watch and enjoy. By aiming for less than epic, it achieves epic status. Brilliant.
½ July 9, 2008
now my 3rd or fourth favorite war movie. its a toss up between this movie and a dirty dozen
June 30, 2008
June 3, 2008
This reconstructed edition of Fuller's masterpiece is surely one of the most interesting, strange and compelling film I has ever seen. It is an adventurous war film that is hard boiled and gritty to perfection. Lee Marvin gives maybe his best performance here as well. A neglected masterpiece from the great Samuel Fuller.
May 26, 2008
Another great WWII movie. I have no suggestions for improvement. Although this is the first movie i've seen Mark Hamil in other than "Star Wars" its rather funny.
It has many battle scenes but because of that they are all pretty short. The scene with the child in the castle also made me ponder the reality of the war and the breutality of Hitler Youth.
May 11, 2008
see my rating and review for the big red one above