The Rebel - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Rebel Reviews

November 17, 2015
Johnny Nguyen isn't as big as he should be. I first saw his work in Clash (2011), a solid action flick about mercenaries stealing a briefcase. In The Rebel (2006), he plays a sympathetic Vietnamese government man who releases the daughter of a known rebel leader, with the villainous French/Vietnamese stoolies on their tail. The movie is full of awesome martial arts sequences, probably choreographed by Nguyen. Another welcome addition is Dustin Nguyen, as the grim faced villain. The movie has solid set design, the story is simple, but the action is effective. Not a perfect movie, but very entertaining.
December 18, 2012
the fighting in this sometimes made me cringe..but in a good way..
Cinema-Maniac
August 18, 2012
It been a while since I last check out a Martial Art film so I decided to checkout The Rebel which had a good reputation. It didn't live to all the praise it got I believe and it certainly could have been better.

The Rebel is set in the 1920s when Vietnam is under colonial rule, one French elite will join a resistance fighter while battling his inner-self to retain his culture or continue his mission. I saw real potential in the plot, but unfortunately it never goes into any interesting direction and it's really unappealing to look at due to the bad color filter. The plot is pretty decent, but you'll see things coming a mile away in predictable manner. While well written for the most part, secondary characters are completely flat and not worth caring about. This movie also has a ridiculously powerful villain who can take a chair to the back, a chandelier to the head, and cut with a knife to his throat and walks it off like nothing happens. This kind of villain really doesn't for a movie who wants to be realistic. The plot is not the best in the Martial Art genre, but it's gets you through the film with enough violence to keep you awake. The fight choreography is performed well, but it's honestly nothing great. Our main man, Johnny Tri Nguyen, kicks way to much which made me wonder often if he forgot if he had hands. It's really distracting when your hero only line of defense is kicking 95% percent of the time. The cast acting is above average, but it's certainly better than what I've seen from Thailand Martial Art flicks. I like the design of the movie for making it look like the 1920s and by showing us allot of Vietnam scenery.

The Rebel doesn't stand out in a populated genre in any way, shape, or form and highly doubt it'll get a bigger audience any time soon. This is by no mean a bad movie, but you'll be wishing more from the experience like I did.
½ October 16, 2011
Some neat action scenes and insane stunts, but it's all bogged down by its pedestrian story.
July 28, 2011
The Rebel is a slam-bang martial arts romp that has pretty much everything you want in a cinematic experience. Excitement, romance, escapes, betrayals and much much more all jammed into just over an hour and a half of breakneck pacing. Set in the seldom used backdrop of France's colonization of Vietnam, the film starts off almost immediately with a chatoic assassination setpiece and doesn't let up from there. The characters are believable and I held a rooting interest for them throughout the running time of the film. If you're looking for your daily fix of action, look no futher than The Rebel.
½ November 27, 2010
Belle reconstitution (le Vietnam des 20's), beaux cadrages, script solide...The Rebel est un bel exemple des films Asiats qu'on aurait du voir sortir au cinà (C). J.Nguyen (très charismatique) est à suivre de près tant son agilità (C) au combat est impressionnante.
November 25, 2010
trailer looked super dope... but the movie wasnt that good.... i think the was the first vietnamese movie i ever saw tho... interesting..
½ July 29, 2010
Awesome martial art flick from Vietnam. Loved the villain he was so crazy and he was on 21 Jump Street.
June 3, 2010
Thanh is gorgeous. It's a shame the Vietnamese resisted modernity so much. Vietnam could be like South Korea or Japan, instead they got decades of war. Some good fights. Stopping the train was either extremely stupid or the effects didn't convey damage to the tracks.
½ April 6, 2010
A major turning point for Vietnamese cinema. An entertaining and high octane action thriller. Worth checking out.
February 26, 2010
A fairly decent, Dragon Dynasty film with some great action scenes.
November 3, 2009
Wicked fight scenes.
October 8, 2009
now here is a great movie. got to watch it subtitles...but good story and grt action!
½ August 7, 2009
It's sad to say this is probably the best film I've seen out of Vietnam.
The fight choreography was impressive and production values seem pretty decent for a Vietnamese film but the scriptwriting was absolutely dreadful and the characters had little depth. I bet there are plenty of year 7 students around who could write better lines.
½ July 27, 2009
An action-drama about the French invasion of Vietnam. The slam-bang finale make this worth watching.
bbcfloridabound
July 16, 2009
The Rebel: This is a non-stop action film, An Agent of the Vietnamese government goes deep under cover to infiltrate a group of rebels and find its leader, along the way he of course gets involved with the daughter of the rebels, his co-worker who is also after the leader in like the Asian Terminator, nothing stops this guy. Dana White in the UFC would love to have this guy. The modern day kung fu action is at its height. The stunts would make Jet Li and Jackie Chan loose there breath. A good Asian Film, not sure if there is English Audio, I listen to Vietnamese with English Subtitles, I have to give this one a 4 Star rating
½ July 5, 2009
This is one of the new-generation martial arts' movies well worth watching. It's well-filmed and, although the plot is a simple quest-style scenario, it's still gripping.
June 8, 2009
uuuuffff!! esto es el hermosisimo cine oriental!! nada de golpes ficticios!!
June 1, 2009
pretty good action/romance/drama/period piece/war movie thing. I'd say Vietnam has a promising future in the film industry. I'd like to see something more modern next time, with neon lights and gangsters.
May 29, 2009
This is good looking action film