The Red Danube - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Red Danube Reviews

November 6, 2015
The Red Danube

It is a film that is filled with truths about what happened after World War II during the early part of the Cold War in different parts of Europe where the Russians would request their people back who escaped during World War II.

It has a good cast. It has some emotionally sad parts seeing the treatment the Russians did of people they had returned to go back to Russia and how the children and elders were given back to the British for they saw little use for them. Some parts were funny parts such as the nun.

I liked the poor impoverished child the British called the nick name Mickey Mouse.

I liked the movie. It is able to capture the best parts of Christianity and able to provide a good idea of how bad the Soviets treated it's people and why people did not wish to return to Russia.
October 23, 2014
An unusual love story involving displaced Russians in Vienna. Although it was cheesy, I still liked the idea of fighting the Russians indirectly through resistance and Janet Leigh was as beautiful as ever. There were some odd lines attacking communism about religion how nothing good comes from an atheist; blatant propaganda at its best.
April 24, 2012
I happened to catch this movie on late one night and I've been hooked every since. The cast is all perfect together. I really love Walter Pidgeon's role and how his character seems to evolve through the movie. The movie takes some interesting and unexpected twists and turns throughout. I highly recommend this one looking for a new classic favorite!!
½ February 20, 2012
all star cast fuels this one
½ August 18, 2010
This film had a lot more depth in it than I expected. Walter Pidgeon and Ethel Barrymore are really the anchors of the post-WWII story, putting in solid performances that connect with audiences.
April 3, 2010
I really liked young Angela Lansbury in her role as Quail. I imagine that the political impact, on post-WWII displaced persons, of this movie was dramatic. Illustrated the beginnings of the cold war. Also, illustrates screw-up-and-move-up as Hooky refuses an order, then gets promoted. Best quote: "Row, row, row your boat...."
½ January 8, 2010
Pidgeon and Barrymore are outstanding, but Leigh's Maria evokes no sympathy and when she finally dies, I wondered why it couldn't have happened an hour earlier. It's much easier to sympathize with Lansbury's long-suffering Quail. It's just as well the Red Danube is a political film, as its message in that arena is much stronger.
½ January 7, 2010
Very good, though the ending was somewhat unsatisfying.