The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus Reviews

August 24, 2016
Great performances from every band featured in this film. It is really a treat to get to see all of these bands appearing so young on screen. I can't never get enough of Pete Townshend windmills. The main problems with this film is just the fact that it is terribly mastered. We need a blu-Ray copy right now... Also Yoko Ono's glass shattering screams were bothering.
December 27, 2014
Great artists, great songs, great performances.

A Rolling Stones-inspired and headlining concert from 1968. Staged inside a circus tent, it has some superb acts: Jethro Tull, The Who, Taj Mahal, The Dirty Mac (a temporary supergroup consisting of John Lennon, Eric Clapton, Keith Richards and Mitch Mitchell) and, of course, the Rolling Stones. All of these deliver in spades.

Marianne Faithfull is also there and is not too bad.

On the downside, unfortunately, John Lennon lets Yoko Ono sing... Though that's using the term "sing" in it's broadest definition...

While the Stones' performance is great, I would have preferred a more even spread, song-wise, between the artists. While the Stones get 6 or 7 songs on the movie, all the others only get one. A few more tracks from The Who and Jethro Tull would have been awesome.
June 5, 2013
Would of been a perfect 5 if it wasn't for Yoko ruining an amazing rock moment. Otherwise great show!
½ February 23, 2013
This strange '60s concert film headlined by The Rolling Stones is pretty cool. The Stones rock as expected (hey Brian Jones is still there!), but their opening acts are Jethro Tull, The Who, and a one off supergroup called The Dirty Mac: which features John Lennon, Eric Clapton, Mitch Mitchell, and Keith Richards...pretty awesome during song #1 (The Beatles "Yer Blues") but I think I and everyone else could do without the talentless Yoko's squealing on song #2. Mostly this is just a stylish and cool bunch of performances pulled together by The Stones and their Circus theme, which is somewhat fun (a neat conversation between Lennon and Jagger is cool). Directed by Michael Lindsay-Hogg, who also directed the Beatles break-up documentary "Let it Be".
December 18, 2012
Apart from Yoko Ono's retched screeching, this tour de force features epic performances from Jethro Tull, Taj Mahal, John Lennon, the Stones--but most notably, the Who and their masterfully crafted "A Quick One While He's Away".
December 18, 2012
November 19, 2012
Originally made in 1968 but shelved by the Rolling Stones themselves this rock concert movie is a real time capsule which contains several good performances and one outstanding one.

The bands come together as the Stones compere the performances including John Lennons Supergroup The Dirty Mac with ErIc Clapton ,Keith Richards and Lennon performing Yer Blues and then Yoko turns up and screams her head off and i had to put my fingers in my ears as it waslowly doing my head in.
The Stones of course get to perform and their numbers inlcude Jagger at his very best on Sympathy for the Devil and other numbers.
Brian Jones is clearly on another planet during the performance and its a shame to see a once great talent a bloated and shaking mess.
But all that is topped by and outstanding performance by The Who performing Pete Townsends mini opera A quick one.

Keith Moon is simply brilliant and the rest of the band excel as they blow everyone else away including the star act.

A good concert film then but skip Yokos wailing and Turn The Who up to 11 .
½ January 31, 2012
The Who doing A Quick One blow the Stones out of the water.

You can see that Brian Jones had not long to go (7 months later he was dead at 27) as he looks like a proper casualty
January 28, 2012
The only thing that's more obvious than defining Mick, Keith & Charlie at the height of their powers is utter uselessness of Brian Jones. Glad they fired him. The Dirty Mac supergroup is fun, as is seeing Tony Iommi play with Jethro Tull. But it really is all about the Stones. Their performance is not only a highlight here, but a highlight of their entire career.
½ January 21, 2012
This is surprisingly good!
June 14, 2011
Rolling Stones and The Who aside (great enough right), there is a GEM of a segment where John Lennon, Keith Richards, Eric Clapton and Mitch Mitchell (Hendrix's drummer) perform "Yer Blues" from The White Album. This cannot be overvalued because of the rare live performances by any Beatle until Wings came out. This supergroup does one more song, but of course Yoko ruined it with her weird vocal experiments. Also you can see Black Sabbath's Tony Iommi when he was briefly with Jethro Tull.
June 28, 2010
Great music and a fun viewing.
August 9, 2009
This was fun. I love how they all ended with "Salt of the Earth."
½ May 20, 2009
If only Yoko Ono would've not hogged the mic with her screeching, that violin would've been damn great.
May 8, 2009
love the rolling stones, even in their hippy days! wow the sixties were quite flamboyant!!
April 27, 2009
The Rolling Stones jus' happen to be my fave Band & of course anything with Mick Jagger in it...really well done!
March 17, 2009
As far as concert films go, it's pretty solid, though further emphasis on the other bands would have been nice, but even in the current proportions everything's truly exquisite - especially with regard to what a real rock star should look like and how they should act. I truly pity all the folks who somehow seem to think the bastards in Fall Out Boy or Creed are true, dyed in the wool rockstars... as far as I can tell, they're just a bunch of grease-addled talking heads, if not full on corporate puppets - gross! There;s something about watching a young Mick Jagger that's slightly unnerving though - After watching the circus, I immediately tuned into Kenneth Anger's Lucifer Rising... apt transition? Studio audience, hands on yr buzzers...
February 8, 2009
Grande performance degli Stones! E si sa quanto io NON ami i loro dischi...
½ January 7, 2009
Great music, even though the Stones reportedly hated their performances.