The Roots of Heaven - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Roots of Heaven Reviews

December 12, 2013
Well before its time. A groups sets out to defend the African Elephant. Not a bad movie. And one of Errol Flynn's last films.
½ December 12, 2013
A man is never alone when he fights for a good cause.

In the heart of Africa, at a lonely bar, an idealist speaks about his feelings regarding saving the elephants and their precious species being the root of heaven. He convinces several patrons to join him on a crusade to save the animals. In the middle of his acts, he is joined by political and international media trying to get in on the action. They will encounter poachers and restless natives on this adventure to preserve one of the most famous endangered species in Africa.

"It is not when men take off their uniforms that they are at their worse. It is when they put them on."

John Huston, director of The African Queen, The Maltese Falcon, The Man Who Would be King, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Captain Blood, Prizzi's Honor, Key Largo, Beat the Devil, and The Asphalt Jungle, delivers Roots of Heaven. The storyline for this picture is fairly straightforward and fairly predictable for this genre. The acting is better than average and includes Errol Flynn, Juliette Greco, Trevor Howard, Orson Welles, and Herbert Lom.

"This is my friend, Toto."

I was very excited to see this movie when I discovered it was directed by John Huston and starred Errol Flynn and Orson Welles. Unfortunately, this is a fairly cliché "save the elephants" movie that doesn't have the creativity and drama I was hoping for. Overall, this movie is very average and I would recommend skipping it.

"You can never teach a man anything by killing him."

Grade: C
August 12, 2010
A Gigantic Message against Elephant Hunting and Colonianism with a great Errol Flynn in his Last Part and beautiful Pictures of the African Nature and the Elephants and other Animals. The Directions, Camera Work, Music and all other Actors are great too.
July 24, 2009
Probably the first eco-thriller with the Huston-typical attitude. Welles and Flynn are astonishing in their roles.
January 3, 2009
J'avais beaucoup aime le livre et le film n'est pas en reste.
April 1, 2008
Pas completement catastrophique, mais il vaut mieux lire le roman, immense chef d'oeuvre.
(vu en VF... ce qui n'aide pas)
January 21, 2007
wanna see it i cant wAIT LOL !!!