The Ruby in the Smoke - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Ruby in the Smoke Reviews

August 23, 2014
Mostly fun to see Piper, Smith, Feild, and Atwell. And Walters.
March 28, 2014
I did try to watch this because of the great British cast, but the story just didn't hold my interest. I had connection to this and had to stop about half way through.
Harlequin68
½ June 28, 2013
After the death of her father at sea, Sally Lockhart(Billie Piper) is reminded constantly of her lack of prospects. To distract her from a fate worse than death, she receives a letter from Major Marchbanks(Miles Anderson) which she brings to Higgs(Trevor Cooper) after which he promptly drops dead of a massive heart attack, which is not connected to the awful spelling or grammar in the letter. It seems Marchbanks has a journal for Sally which he gives to her shortly before his premature demise at the hands of Mrs. Holland(Julie Walters) who now has her beady little eyes set on her.

"The Ruby in the Smoke" is to be frank, a mess. This definitely feels like somebody tried to adapt a novel by trying to squeeze everything in without sacrificing anything in the bargain. Thus, at first, it is hard to tell what is going on, followed by major characters and storylines coming and going at will while a clear plot eventually materializes. And even in its criticisms of the British Empire and Victorian England, the movie takes a heavy handed route, even sounding like just another anti-drug screed at one point.
December 30, 2012
Started interestingly, but the storytelling got slightly confusing and one was wondering where is that person and whats going on..It is a tv-movie, this one was a nice historical adventure which looks like its been made with a low budget. Also, the story could have been far more intensive. Like this, the tv-movie was just somehow 'thin' - one could see that someone had seen a lot of effort but the story just wasnt intensive enough to keep the viewer interested. Repetitive, the same people and the same areas.
There's just nothing special. But it wasn't awful, just not that interesting. So much more could have been made of the 'Maharaja's gem', more people, more adventure, more danger. It was, well, a bit dull, but made with a genuine effort.
October 19, 2012
½ October 10, 2012
Very good! But the book is better!
October 1, 2012
I haven't read the book so maybe that's why I was very confused during this movie. I always felt I was missing something. Plus, I couldn't understand the actors half the time.
August 14, 2011
Decent. Nothing extraordinary, nothing spectacular.
December 24, 2009
I guess it would've made a lot more sense had I read the book first. Now I had a feeling that there was too much going on. You know, things seemed to move too fast.
½ August 3, 2009
Enjoyable mystery story. Thumbs up. A good look and taste of what Matt Smith will bring to Who.
April 10, 2009
Again love it cause it has Billie in it but also i love the book and i enjoy mysteries
March 17, 2009
Intermittently entertaining but mostly silly, "The Ruby in the Smoke" is riddled with plot holes and is unimaginatively filmed.
½ March 8, 2009
Billie Piper is rather surprisingly quite good, and the rest of the cast, particularly Julie Walters are great. The story though, is very complicated, and too much characters and facts and explanations are just thrown in way too fast. I think it's the kind of book adaptation that ought to be a little longer, or a little edited to make the plot more easy to understand.
February 28, 2009
Pretty good, but mostly I think I just love Billie Piper.
January 15, 2009
November 16, 2008
A good adaptation of Philip Pullman's novel. Billie Piper brings the same youth and spunk to the role of Sally as seen in her character 'Rose' in Doctor Who. All other characters remain faithful to the source material as well. I like the idea of a "young woman with ideals ahead of her time" that pervades this story -- yet the both the novel and the movie tends to take a very heavy hand delivering this and other themes, rather than letting them take a back seat to the story at hand.
½ September 25, 2008
Only a half point off for occasionally stupid characters. A refreshing historical for the fact that everyone in it isn't so Dickensian in their corruption and we actually see decent folks. I am now tempted to read the book. The opium angle in the story was intriguing, although I wonder how accurate.
September 24, 2008
En lidt rodet filmatisering
½ September 1, 2008
Very good! But the book is better!
August 20, 2008
At times there were too many subplots which had been touched on that both I and the characters were either unaware of or that were so minor in their instances that they became a cause for confusion. Still, a very good script and excellent acting over all.