The Ruby in the Smoke - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Ruby in the Smoke Reviews

½ August 20, 2008
I watched this because I remember loving the trilogy when I was younger, and was surprised to learn it was by Philip Pullman. I much prefer this to His Dark Materials.
August 20, 2008
This was so good. Julie Walters was great! JJ Feild was good too.
August 20, 2008
I found this movie quite confusing in places to be honest. Julie Walters was brilliant as ever, and it was a pretty good drama. I just didn't quite understand some of the characters and who they were, and the story-line in places. Quite bizarre!
August 20, 2008
I read the book once when I was a kid--I'm sure it was just as "penny-dreadful" as the movie, but it couldn't have had as many plot holes. Masterpiece Theatre, I am ashamed of you.
August 20, 2008
I wouldn't have thought of watching this, it was just on tv and i thoroughly enjoyed it. The mystery around sally's life is great
August 20, 2008
quite a good film, interesting drama with a good dective kind of story for it, its all about the past secrets and mystery of a ruby necklace and sally lockharts fathers death (piper). good characters played by good actors. not bad.
½ July 18, 2008
Percival's BBC adaptation of Pullman's Victorian-era mystery features a curvaceously corseted Piper in a confusingly corseted plot. Don't you know anything about history?
½ June 23, 2008
very very interesting and mesterious movie i loved it!!!
½ June 22, 2008
Really enjoyed this film even though it was on instead of Casualty!!!!
May 27, 2008
just like the book, though a few bits changed/characters missed out.
loved it though i thought they should have picked someone far more brutal for mrs holland. just can't take julie walters seriously. i kept thinking of acorn antiques!!
½ March 29, 2008
His Dark Materials is all "Don't trust the church" and this movie's all "Don't trust the gubmint because they're just trying to get everyone hooked on opium." I gave it an extra half-star because it had nice costumes and starred Fanny Price and Henry Tilney.

What's up with Phillip Pullman and no one knowing their father's true identity?
½ January 22, 2008
i must say that it was not as good as the book - the interpretation was different, sally didn't seem as strong as in the book. Also, Trembler was left out!!!! :( :(
And Mrs Holland wasn't near as ugly and evil as i always imagined her to be. However, not too bad, all things considered.
January 17, 2008
You've gotta love the BBC period pieces. They're always lush and beautiful to look at and the acting is going to be top notch. Julie Walters dominates the show of course, showing that even Ron Wiesley's mom can be evil. A good watch for a lazy Sunday when you want a good mystery, even though the plot may have a few holes in it. Over all, a solid viewing.
½ January 15, 2008
Great adaptation, and Billie Piper is surprisingly good. Still doesn't quite capture the spirit of the novel though, but this is the weakest of the books.
December 3, 2007
I read the book at school. I just saw it listed here and thought I'd share that. Can't remember much about it. No idea what the film is like. SO TAKE MY LIFE ANECDOTE AND GET THE HELL AWAY!!
October 29, 2007
its a lot like the book which makes it really good
October 20, 2007
Boken ar un-der-bar! Vill se filmen.
August 21, 2007
Not a bad version, a couple of things missing from the book but thats just normal, you can't include everything.
½ August 9, 2007
I heart JJ Feild and Billie Piper. Julie Walters was amazing; you wouldn't think that so much terror could be invoked by sweet Mrs. Weasley. She was a great villain!
½ August 3, 2007
Good movie, a tad slow but it was lovely.