The Safety of Objects - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Safety of Objects Reviews

September 8, 2013
2/5 --- "Why is man nothing w/o a purpose?" quote scribbled into...
"Man is nothing w/o a purpose!" Perfect.

Seems dragged down by its own heaviness in plot and abundance of characters, this movie is about 4 families/parents & kids with their own storylines that interweave. The transition isn't smooth and is more jerky and you're guessing [not in a good way] about what happened as the story slow [in a bad way] unravels.

Has a good cast of Glenn Close, Patricia Clarkson, Dermot Mulroney and even a young Kristen Stewart [who did fine work back in the day before being typecast as "Twilight" girl]. This movie felt really's 2hours 1minute and you feel it. End was ok, buildup was molasses.

"How did I get here? Somewhere along the way, things have gotten out of hand. I don't know how. I tried to do things right, but... maybe that's the problem. Maybe there is no right or wrong. We're ruled by chaos. That would make more sense. That there are no rewards, no punishments. Life isn't a series of results of things done right or wrong. It's all just random. Those are the rules. There are no rules."
October 10, 2012
A story of four suburban families - centred around an accident that has left Paul Gold, the musician son of one of the families, a vegetable - who's lives, which are seemingly unrelated, start to unravel but come together in the end. A surprisingly touching performance from Timothy Olyphant. Nice touch with the talking doll as well.
June 25, 2012
didnt quite understand
May 19, 2012
A tamed down "Magnolia" (Paul Thomas Anderson, 1999), this movie lost me many times.
March 14, 2012
Another film I haven't heard of before that I wanna check out!
½ March 6, 2012
WWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEIRDDDDDDDD movie!!!! there is really nothing more that I can say but that.
January 26, 2012
Welcome to the neighborhood, where the neighbors are nice, keep their affairs secret, have usual desires, and live in familiar life. Esther Gold's life is consumed by caring her comatose son Paul all day and night. Jim Train feels that his family no longer needs him and is sent into a tailspin when he's passed over for a promotion. Helen Christianson is determined to shake up her mundane life while trying new products to keep her feeling young. Annette Jennings, in a midst of a messy divorce, struggles financially to care for her two daughters. In a series of overlapping stories four suburban families who deal with different maladies will bring their fates facing with the truth.

Directed by Rose Troche, 'The Safety Of Objects' features great acting performances from the following cast:
1.) Glenn Close (Esther Gold)
2.) Joshua Jackson (Paul Gold)
3.) Jessica Campbell (Julie Gold)
4.) Dermot Mulroney (Jim Train)
5.) Alex House (Jake Train)
6.) Moira Kelly (Susan Train)
7.) Mary Kay Place (Helen Christianson)
8.) Patricia Clarkson (Annette Jennings)
9.) Kristen Stewart (Sam Jennings)
10.) Timothy Olyphant (Randy)

I may not be a fan of independent cinema, but when I watched 'The Safety Of Objects' I find it as an excellent story for the series of overlapping stories about four different families in one big confusion. The comatose state that Paul was in may be silent to me as while Joshua Jackson didn't deliver any lines, he at least did a good acting job. As she's playing the tomboyish, short-haired Sam Jennings who likes to smoke, the young Kristen Stewart was only seven years away from 'Twilight'. I got amused with the voice-overs when Jake has romantic fantasies with his younger sister's doll - and I wish I'd like to have such fantasies while looking at the dolls. (Just kidding...I would never do that!) Since this is a drama, 'The Safety Of Objects' may be slow but it's not at all boring; its plot is moving that it helped me get through my viewing experience. I would like to watch more independent movies like this.
December 26, 2011
This films is a mess and never takes off. It's intentions are evident, but clumsy direction makes it nothing more than a chance for Glenn Close and co to stumble around looking disaffected and distant.
September 26, 2011
Couldn't even finish it. No fresh themes here.
July 20, 2011
I liked it but something was lacking... the plot was kind of unexplained at some points. Really enjoyed the quirkiness of the whole thing but I was left with questions
June 25, 2011
I tried to watch this but I couldn't sit through it it was horrible
½ May 21, 2011
The Safety of Objects is based on a series of short stories by A.M. Homes about four different families whose lives are intertwined due to the tragedies they have experienced.

I was kind of disappointed by this film; I think I was expecting a lot more due to the fact that it has a cast that is to die for. The problem with this film, however, isn't the cast. In fact, the cast is quite good. The main problem is the story. There's too much going on and at the same time not enough is going on.

I'm sure the source material is lovely, but I was not enthralled at all during the film. I often found it to be quite dull. It has its moments, that's for sure, thanks to the excellent performances from Glenn Close and Patricia Clarkson, but their stories only make up about forty percent of the film.

The film drags along at parts and it's really painful to get through. This film tackles the popular intertwined lives storytelling style, but unfortunately it falls flat compared to something like Paul Thomas Anderson's Magnolia. Most of these characters' stories are just uninteresting and it's just not worth the time to delve into the drama.

Rose Troche's direction is subtle and effective at times, but it's her screenplay that is the weak link here. Kudos to the actors, but unfortunately they can't save this from being just another dull installment to the expanding pile of suburban tragedy films.
May 14, 2011
Saw this sometime ago and really enjoyed it, so was glad to see it going really cheap on Amazon.
The rewatch was just as good. Great cast including a very young Kristen Stewart. I liked how the stories about the three sets of neighbours all wound together. Though it is a drama, there is some black humor there as well. The Barbie doll in particular made me laugh. Very realistic with that hair - kind of creepy actually!
April 16, 2011
Malamamente llamada: Vidas en común, está película cuyo título se traduciría: "La seguridad de los objetos" resulta un ejercicio de análisis de la manera en que en la vida nos aferramos a cosas y personas y buscamos poseerlas como lo más preciado y perderlas sería la muerte, pero resulta que cuando se van o las superas, todo renace y se renueva en tu vida.
½ January 11, 2011
This movie has some fantastic acting in it and a wonderful list of cast but it somewhat confused me.
I felt confused during the majority of the film, not really knowing what I was watching and I don't even think I could possibly explain what it was about if someone asked me.
First of all I watched it because of Kristen Stewart being in it and even though it was her first movie and she was great in it this movie isn't worth watching twice, barely even once.
½ November 15, 2010
"The Safety of Objects" is a really interesting film. It's essentially one of those family dramas involving intertwining stories, flashbacks, and crucial parts of the story not being revealed until towards the end. This film has such a great cast. I watched it for Kristen Stewart, who was so young at the time of this movie but still so excellent to watch. I'm a massive Timothy Olyphant fan too, and his character in "The Safety of Objects" was really interesting.

The unique opening titles introduce the audience to the various families that we assume will be part of the story. And as per usual with these sorts of films, all the families are connected in various ways - but particularly by one tragic event. The characters in "The Safety of Objects" are not all completely bizarre, they're actually quite realistic. Well, realistic of how complicated people can be. Realistic of how grief and tragedy affect people.

For those who love a good drama with interesting characters that isn't a complete downer, "The Safety of Objects" is a movie you should definitely check out. Any fans of Olyphant or Stewart will no doubt like it either way, but it IS worth watching. It's absolutely the performances that make this strange film so compelling.
½ August 12, 2010
I love how you have no idea how closely related all the characters are until the very end. Patricia Clarkson at her best!
June 3, 2010
Somehow like a better than average but ordinary movie, just with the sugar coating removed.
½ May 27, 2010
this was a good movie not for little kids under like 18 but it was good. strange story line to fallow though.
½ April 19, 2010
Glen Close is the shit. I mean, she did an awesome job in this movie. Everyone did for the most part. I also really liked Timothy Olyphant, he was pretty awesome. I remember I saw this movie like 6 years ago, maybe even longer, and I loved it. I hadnt watched it since, but I busted it out the other night and gave it a view and it was still pretty good. It has a very bittersweet ending, leaves you with a weird taste in your mouth. But I still love this movie.