The Safety of Objects Reviews

• Jul 01, 2020

A talent cast and a collection of interesting characters made the most of a somewhat disjointed script.

• Dec 13, 2018

The Safety of Objects has a very talented cast and some very good perfomances as a whole but the storyline and some of the humor and dramatic aspects of it feels tiresome and frankly kinda underdeveloped. (5/10)

• Sep 08, 2013

2/5 --- "Why is man nothing w/o a purpose?" quote scribbled into... "Man is nothing w/o a purpose!" Perfect. Seems dragged down by its own heaviness in plot and abundance of characters, this movie is about 4 families/parents & kids with their own storylines that interweave. The transition isn't smooth and is more jerky and you're guessing [not in a good way] about what happened as the story slow [in a bad way] unravels. Has a good cast of Glenn Close, Patricia Clarkson, Dermot Mulroney and even a young Kristen Stewart [who did fine work back in the day before being typecast as "Twilight" girl]. This movie felt really long...it's 2hours 1minute and you feel it. End was ok, buildup was molasses. "How did I get here? Somewhere along the way, things have gotten out of hand. I don't know how. I tried to do things right, but... maybe that's the problem. Maybe there is no right or wrong. We're ruled by chaos. That would make more sense. That there are no rewards, no punishments. Life isn't a series of results of things done right or wrong. It's all just random. Those are the rules. There are no rules."

• Oct 10, 2012

A story of four suburban families - centred around an accident that has left Paul Gold, the musician son of one of the families, a vegetable - who's lives, which are seemingly unrelated, start to unravel but come together in the end. A surprisingly touching performance from Timothy Olyphant. Nice touch with the talking doll as well.

• Jun 23, 2012

didnt quite understand

didnt quite understand

• May 19, 2012

A tamed down "Magnolia" (Paul Thomas Anderson, 1999), this movie lost me many times.

• Mar 06, 2012

WWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEIRDDDDDDDD movie!!!! there is really nothing more that I can say but that.

• Dec 26, 2011

This films is a mess and never takes off. It's intentions are evident, but clumsy direction makes it nothing more than a chance for Glenn Close and co to stumble around looking disaffected and distant.

• Sep 26, 2011

Couldn't even finish it. No fresh themes here.

Couldn't even finish it. No fresh themes here.

• Jul 20, 2011

I liked it but something was lacking... the plot was kind of unexplained at some points. Really enjoyed the quirkiness of the whole thing but I was left with questions