The Scenesters - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Scenesters Reviews

½ January 13, 2013
Very Silverlake indi- Loved the blac kand white shots, the narrative was good too!
December 1, 2012
A remarkable use of a microscopic budget to create a unique, funny little mystery/comedy indie trip with something to say.
November 17, 2012
fun, hilarious and ahead of its time with its pitch perfect skewering of mumblecore. manages to both honor and parody the noir genre. big fan, looking forward to whatever these guys do next.
November 29, 2011
Interesting story, but could have been better if it didn't have the home-movie/low budget feel throughout.
½ August 21, 2011
I remember my friend Brandon saying that the film isn't something he has really ever seen before. I agree. The film has a very original story in comparison to the majority of indie comedies you'll find, but the film doesn't do anything with it's original story. It starts off very well & after about 30 minutes it just gets very predictable, over-directed & cliched. A film like this deserves to have a solid script to work with, & i'm afraid it doesn't. The dialogue in the film works at points & feels very forced at others. While I did like some of the things in here, & I do appreciate the more self-aware feel that the film has, I can't help but to judge the film for it's flaws which prevents me from enjoying it as much as I wanted to.
July 19, 2011
The critics don't know what they're talking about. Hilariously on point. Characters spend so much time manufacturing drama for their film noir "reality" project that they are callously oblivious to the true real-life drama of women being murdered in actual reality. Everyone is either in film or in a band...even the police. So LA.
½ July 11, 2011
This jumbled satirical mystery is too pleased with itself for its own good.
½ June 30, 2011
Fun and very creative dark comedy.
½ June 30, 2011
The Vacationeers' feature-length comedy is something that I haven't really ever seen before. The laughs are neither high-brow or low-brow, it presents itself as neo-noir, and simultaneously rejects the validity of a noir. "The Scenesters" is a clever little movie with a lot to say that's presented through little of what we actually see on screen. For what it is, it's one of the most impressive indies I've seen come along in years, and I can't wait to see what Berger and his buddies have to offer up next.
½ June 23, 2011
The camerawork is a little too shaky, but this is a very entertaining movie! I loved it!
April 25, 2011
This movie has everything! (It's been a while since I've seen it, and I'm just now getting to review it here.) From what I can recall, I had crazy fun watching it and was amazed by how many genres these guys played with and did not lose stakes or focus. These filmmakers are going to continue making really interesting stories. Truly something that hasn't been done before.
April 23, 2011
An interesting movie about making a movie. It also adds amurder mystery and romance to make it interersting.
December 6, 2010
Of course I'm giving THE SCENESTERS 5 Stars, but if you haven't rated or added us to NETFLIX, please do so now.
August 20, 2010
Mystery movie, please, give me a break. Lame.
½ April 18, 2010
Takes a clever premise and drums it to death.
April 11, 2010
Provocative at first then it gets predictable. Need some excedrin after seeing this, too many shakie camera angles. Soundtrack is pretty good.