The Scouting Book for Boys - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Scouting Book for Boys Reviews

½ July 5, 2016
An intimate tale of you infatuation with Turgoose much in the vein of his collaborations with Shane Meadows endearing through his lost gentleness.
½ January 21, 2015
Genuine, and honest are Turgoose and the girl, in this amicable if far fetched teen fantasy. Its all a bit wishy washy otherwise.
½ September 15, 2014
Good British drama but not great
½ November 23, 2013
A sad story of 2 young kids on a holiday camp who become the best of friends. one runs away. An enjoyable British movie
March 6, 2013
I'm not sure I'm convinced by where we end up in this increasingly dark tale, but the journey is beguiling enough thanks to tender performances by the always reliable Thomas Turgoose and a wonderfully natural Holly Grainger
½ January 27, 2013
Traggic and depressing tale of young love
January 5, 2013
its amazing I love this film so much!!
January 2, 2013
Set on a dismal, seaside caravan site, 'TSBFB' is a compelling piece of discomfiting realism directed with a steely and assured hand by Tom Harper. The two central performances are fantastic and the editing is at times sublime with some very effective juxtapositions of image that speak volumes without needing to use dialogue. The narrative takes some interesting twists along the way to its final destination and the dialogue is funny and concise. All in all a winner although you may not want to be beside the seaside after watching...
December 30, 2012
The feature directorial debut of TV director Tom Harper (off This is England '86 and Misfits, now doing The Woman in Black: Angels of Death), and written by Jack Thorne (Skins) and produced by Christian Colson (Slumdog Millionaire), this is a dark teen drama with an odd yet original location which proves to be haunting and beautiful. It has good intentions, but it's ending lets it down. David (Thomas Turgoose) and Emily (Holliday Grainger) are best friends who both live on a caravan park on the Norfolk coast, and they are inseparable. They're not lovers, but they're like brother and sister getting into mischief. However, when Emily's mother Sharon (Susan Lynch) says Emily is to move away to live with her Dad. Emily is distraught, and she and David come up with a plan to have her hide away in a small remote cave down on the beach. Emily is reported as missing, and the police, led by D.I. Kertzer (Steven Mackintosh) search everywhere. The plan seems to work, but Emily reveals a secret to David, that brings his world and feelings crashing down around him. It's a bittersweet story of teen love, only the teens aren't in love, but they have feelings. It's goes from sunny adventure into psychological thriller very quickly. It's got some lovely touches though, but as stated, the end lets it down badly.
½ December 28, 2012
There's a lot to like about this film, written by regular Shane Meadows collaborator Jack Thorne and directed by newcomer Tom Harper. The performances by Meadows regular Thomas Turgoose and Holliday Grainger are really striking, combined a very strong sense of natural dialogue between two young people by Thorne. These elements combined paint a fascinating relationship of two early adolescents who still have an intensely close relationship, but one that they both understand only extends to childish carefree escapades and not to the adult world of romance and sexual atttraction. The heartache of Thomas trying to suppress, but desperately wanting to express his growing desires for Emily is very palpable. The film falls down in two areas, the first being the overly caricatured adults who are left with little to do except act as comic figures of adult incompetence. A little more credible depth of character might have contrasted nicely with the emotional rollercoaster ride of the teens. The second is the tragic ending - it really does feel out of place with the narrative, and jumps out more as a kind of writers calling card, "look at me, I can make this tragic!" than something which has a worthy emotional payoff to the events preceding it. Yes, love is cruel but this hammers it home in a way that feels emotionally exploitative, and with a far darker edge than I felt the narrative deserves.
December 3, 2012
Wow Holiday has grown up. This was great and so overlooked at the cinema. Turgoose is a sensational actor. Its sad in parts
½ November 27, 2012
Almost entirely plausible, this tale of teenage tearaways gets increasingly dark. There is a commentary on childcare and neglect, and mob behaviour, running through the film. It left us feeling very disquieted.
½ November 18, 2012
Most of the characters don't feel sincere in their actions or persona, especially the idiot detective, but the story itself presents a dark side of human nature's desire to belong.
November 16, 2012
It passed a couple of hours
½ November 16, 2012
That was dark, not a fun film
October 30, 2012
While the story line was intriguing it was possibly one of the most depressing films in history and I've seen my sisters keeper, the notebook and bridge to teribithia.
September 6, 2012
Another great showing from turgoose.
April 25, 2012
Oh, boy. This was nothing like what I expected. I started watching this believing I'd be spending 90 minutes in bliss - watching a movie with Irish countryside and boys and....scouting, but no such thing happened.

But it's really movies you don't know what to expect from that are the ones that move you. The Scouting Book for Boys is a haunting, harrowing, gut-wrenching film that offers a very original look in the topic of obsession and how love can easily turn into a mania.

Great film, great performances - but don't go into it expecting pleasant things.
January 28, 2012
Good acting, unexpectedly dark twist to the story, but at the same time, some aspects of it felt a bit over-the-top (Emily's mum bears a striking resemblance to Amy Winehouse, for example).
January 15, 2012
There's a lot to admire in this movie. It's from a first time director and I liked his visuals and moods. Script was by my favorite writer on Skins and while he still displays his uncanny ability to capture the darker aspects of adolescence in a believable way, the characters seemed surprisingly thin and uninvolving. Performances were really good though and after a soggy middle section, the story's 3rd act suddenly comes alive and delivered what I was expecting.