Reviews

• Aug 30, 2008

The story doesn’t quite fit along with other non-period Kurosawa pictures, but that is to be expected with this kind of adaptation. The plot and character dynamics are a bit more complex and layered. Kurosawa does a good job of keeping it comprehensible. He definitely should have shortened it though. He tries to pack too much of the story into the film. The performances are all superb as always. The photography is excellent as well. It can seem a bit over the top at times though; a little too melodramatic. It’s a good effort, but this is a difficult story to translate to the screen. I could swear I saw Bogart in this during one scene as well.