The Storm Riders (Fung wan: Hung ba tin ha) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Storm Riders (Fung wan: Hung ba tin ha) Reviews

½ January 24, 2011
When I watched this movie,I felt like I'm reading the comic!!It's cool and fun,the plot of the movie is good although it did not follow the original story from the comic itself.
January 5, 2011
My favorite martial arts movie ever. This is like a video game, romance, fx fest. can't explain how cool and epic I think this is!
November 23, 2010
I saw this in 1999 after it first came out. One of the best stories would recomend to all. I still watch it every so often and never get tired of it.
September 28, 2010
i liked the action but thats all there was the story really just stalls a lot
August 12, 2010
Because of this movie I dye my hair blue and buy wuxia novels I cannot read.
½ August 11, 2010
Based on the hit Hong Kong comic book series of the same name, The Storm Riders is one of the most ambitious comic book Asian adaptation ever to work very well on the silver screen. Starring Aaron Kwok and Ekin Cheng as the leads, filled with fantastic special effects and a fantasy kung fu setting that will mesmerize any fantasy kung fu fans alike. Despite some flaws, give this a try and enter the world of The Storm Riders and be astound.
July 25, 2010
Finished Storm Riders on Blu-ray it was pretty good I liked the main bad guy he was awesome.
June 28, 2010
For a martial arts film, "Storm Riders" is very entertaining. This film doesn't require any deep thought but is an interesting live action film with many anime touches.
June 1, 2010
Umm... certainly fun to watch. Probably my first experience with the genre in this form, I figure I will learn to appreciate it better. For now, the campyness was appreciated enough anyway. xD
½ June 1, 2010
I consider myself a conniseur of "fine" chopsocky cinema. I can safely say that I have seen well over 1000 different movies in the genre (most likely around 1500). Admittedly, most of them would be considered gratuitous tripe with banal music and zero plot, but occasionally you find a diamond in the rough. In this case I believe I have found the Hope Diamond.

Beyond the spectacular visual effects and supurb fight coreography is, now brace yourself, an actual PLOT! Though, to an American audience the plot can get a little complicated at times by introducing new characters and not thoroughly explaining certain actions taken by the main characters, it is a masterpiece of the first order. The best way to describe the movie would be live-action Dragonball Z-like special effects meets an old-school martial arts beat-em-up/love/revenge/journey of self discovery/inevitability of destiny/downfall of the proud story told in a way in which most Western viewers can keep up.

________________________________________________

Now for a short introduction into Chinese Cinema:

Chinese cinema, in general, is not so concerned with telling a story in a linear fashinon as it is trying to convey meaning and moral teachings through symbolism. Once this is realized and a permanent suspension of disbelief is accepted within the genre one can more easily comprehend the untellable tale these movies are trying to express. Asian cinema, if not taken from a "read between the lines" perspective makes very little sense.

Westerners must first try to understand the culture that spawned these films in order to begin to graps the higher meaning contained within them. Think of Lao Tzu's philosophy, Confucious' teachings, Chinese parables, the concept of Chi, the Tao, etc. Most Westerners consider these to be, for lack of a better word, weird. To someone who has been raised in a culture where such things are commonplace, however, another layer of understanding is revealed. To understand Chinese cinema first look to understand the lesson that is being taught in each character's actions and words, then apply the words and actions to the greater story...in other words...work the movie's scenes in a three-dimensional space. You have to think!

The first rule of Western cinema is to assume your audience is stupid. They are children who must be spoon fed every part of the story. Chinese don't care so much about that. They, as I said before, want to convey what can't be told in words. They want to express senses of duty, honor, courage, love, filial piety, and comaraderie through symbolism in action, dress, language, and setting. The story is merely the vehicle...like a vehicle that takes you to where you NEED to be. You could travel by car, bus, bicycle, covered wagon, etc. The route you take and the destination are all the same.

I hope this feeble introduction has, in some way, given you a fresh perspective into Chinese fillm. Give The Storm Riders, Once Upon A Time In China, and other Chinese films a try. Better yet, make a Chinese friend and have him/her watch these films with you and explain the intricacies to you.
May 23, 2010
A movie that hasn't aged well. Wire stunts I like. Special effects where magic powers shoot out of hands I don't.
½ April 11, 2010
Older movies are still better !
April 9, 2010
One of the coolest HK films I've seen when I was younger. Now looking back at it...dated and laughable, but it was still cool none the less. ^_^
½ March 25, 2010
Ya... gitu deh. Terlalu bersandar pada teknologi CGI, padahal seharusnya koreografi bisa lebih bagus lagi.
bbcfloridabound
March 18, 2010
This is a pretty wild film and at times it just stalls and goes no where, early asian special effects throughout. The fierce clan leader Lord Conquer determines to defeat the land?s most skilled fighter Sword Saint. The Mud Buddha prophesies that the fight will not take place for ten years. Lord Conquer sets about obtaining the ten swords of great power. According to the prophecy, adopts the sons Cloud and Wind of two of the slain sword-holders and raises them as his heirs. Cloud falls in love with Conquer?s daughter Charity but when Conquer announces her betrothal to Wind, Cloud steals her away. And when she is accidentally killed by Conquer as Cloud and Wind fight over her, Cloud swears vengeance on his adopted father. Its a long one. I can only give it 3 stars
March 14, 2010
a statement genre piece for any swordsman film in Hong Kong. I would also say its the Terminator2 of Hk back then in 97, for the elevation it brought to the techology CGI turf
½ February 21, 2010
Well I liked it. It feels a bit disjointed here and there, but the story's clear and a cool one at that. I like the fact that they don't feel the need to explain how people in this can fly or have crazy powers, or their obvious names either. It all kind of makes the movie better.
February 5, 2010